none
2 versions of ODBC Driver RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have applications that extract data via ODBC against Intersystems Cache 4 and Cache 5 databases.  I currently do this by copying either the 4 or 5 version of the driver (CacheODBC4.dll or CacheODBC5.dll) to file CacheODBC.dll  and connecting via a DSN.   CacheODBC.dll is what the ODBC manager refers to when Creating,modifying ODBC DSNs.

This means that I can only be extracting against one of them at a time since all of the code references CacheODBC.dll

Can I refer to a specific dll in a connection string.  Instead of using a DSN, i would like my Cache 4 apps to reference CacheODBC4.dlland my Cache 5 apps to reference CacheODBC5.dl, allowing them to run at the the same time.

Thank you....Jim

Friday, July 2, 2010 1:16 PM

Answers

• I think you might need to check with the vendor. If they don't support the installation of multiple versions of the ODBC driver, or their latest driver doesn't support previous versions of the database, then you may be out of luck. I'm not aware of any way to work around this through the ODBC configuration or code.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Friday, July 2, 2010 3:09 PM

All replies

• I think you might need to check with the vendor. If they don't support the installation of multiple versions of the ODBC driver, or their latest driver doesn't support previous versions of the database, then you may be out of luck. I'm not aware of any way to work around this through the ODBC configuration or code.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Friday, July 2, 2010 3:09 PM
  • That is what I figured after looking into this for awhile.  I think I will explore using Virtual sessions.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 5:48 PM