Using Windows Media Server Publishing Points as a Media Sink RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bit of a cross API dilema and trying to figure out the best way to create a solution. I'm using a non-conventional media source, an IP video camera with various video formats and control features. Either way I go, I'll need to make a media interface to either API, WMF or Media Encoder 9 Series. The video needs to be transformed by bit rate only and pushed to my Windows Media Server.

The obvious way to go would be Media Encoder but sources only include files, screen capture, HTML or scripted sources. On the other side of the coin via WMF, media source and transformer can be created but the only apparent media sinks are previews and files. From a Microsoft standard point of view, should the two APIs be interoperable desipite the OS generation gap they were designed for? Is there a possibility that MF could push to a Windows Media Server without using Encoder Series 9? Any tips would be great thanks
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:27 AM

Answers

• One of the WMS experts pointed me to the FSDK push sink and FSDK writer; see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd743730(VS.85).aspx.  It should be fairly straightforward to move data from MF to the FSDK by just copying the data from IMFSample objects into INSSBuffer objects.  It would be possible to write an MF wrapper sink that writes to the FSDK writer, or use the sample grabber sink and do the FSDK writing at the application level.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:50 PM

All replies

• Media Foundation is designed to be componentized and therefore interoperable with other APIs; however, WMEncoder was not.  As you mentioned, the methods for creating sources in WMEncoder are limited, so there is no easy way to feed samples from MF into WMEncoder.  (There may be a hard way, that is, creating a device driver that pulls samples from MF and can be created by WMEncoder, but I have no idea how feasible that is).

There is no particular reason why MF cannot push to a Windows Media Server except that no one has written the code yet.  Better server/streaming support is one of the things on our (long) list to do, but who knows in what release we will get to it.  Our WMS experts are currently out, but when they get back I will check with them to see if there is another way to do this.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009 7:08 PM
  • One of the WMS experts pointed me to the FSDK push sink and FSDK writer; see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd743730(VS.85).aspx.  It should be fairly straightforward to move data from MF to the FSDK by just copying the data from IMFSample objects into INSSBuffer objects.  It would be possible to write an MF wrapper sink that writes to the FSDK writer, or use the sample grabber sink and do the FSDK writing at the application level.
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 10:50 PM