none
tracefmt.exe "-display" flag doesn't log to console RRS feed

• Question

• I have troubles with using "-display" flag with tracefmt version 10.0.15063.0. With this version nothing appears in the console. Logs are written only to the log file. Tracefmt version 6.3.9600.16384 used with the same parameters displays logs to the console as expected (in addition to writing them to the log file).

The same behavior can be reproduced in Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 10 1703.

Is this a known bug?

Friday, November 3, 2017 2:33 PM

All replies

• Probably. It isn't clear what sort of response that you're looking for. The old one didn't work, but the new one does, so clearly they fixed it. They certainly aren't going to go back and re-issue the old WDK, if that's what you're looking for.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Friday, November 3, 2017 6:05 PM
  • Hi Brian, it is vice versa: with older version of tracefmt.exe "-display" flag works as expected but with newer version it seems like it is completely ignored (log messages are not displayed in the console). Can somebody confirm the same behavior? According to the documentation at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/tracefmt-commands "-display" flag behavior is "Displays the trace messages in the Command Prompt window, in addition to writing them to the output file.". Thanks for feedback!
    Monday, November 6, 2017 7:30 AM
  • To be more specific about the question. I'm using following sequence of commands to get traces from the driver:

tracelog -start MyDriverTrace -rt -guid #37ddaa8a-1587-442f-9294-8a595c1e3aa8 -level 5 -flag 0x7FFFFFFF
    tracepdb -f MyDriver.pdb -o Trace\MyDriver.tmf
    tracefmt -rt MyDriverTrace -r . -tmf Trace\MyDriver.tmf -p Trace -o Trace\MyDriver.log -display -nosummary
    tracelog -stop MyDriverTrace

I have tested different tracefmt.exe versions with following results:

tracefmt version Status
    6.3.9600.16384 OK
    10.0.14393.0 OK
    10.0.15063.0 NOT OK
    10.0.16299.15 NOT OK

Status "OK" means that log messages are displayed in the console.

Status "NOT OK" means that log messages are NOT displayed in the console.

Am I doing something wrong (e.g. passing some incorrect parameters)?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Monday, November 6, 2017 11:14 AM