none
Installing SQL Server 2016 in Mixed domain and with Managed service accounts

Question

• Hello,

I am looking for some guidance and assistance here in installing SQL server 2016.

We are having some issues with the service accounts for the installation. But first some background information.

1. Our main AD domain controller is a Windows server 2008 R2 DC

2. Our secondary AD domain controllers are all Windows Server 2012 R2 DC's

3. Our forest schema is still server 2008 R2 schema.

4. We are trying to use the Group Managed Service Accounts (gMSA) and Managed Service Accounts (MSA) feature of Server 2012 R2

Our issue is that during the install process of SQL Server 2016 when we select either the gMSA or MSA accounts that we have set up during the SQL Server Configuration phase we get the following error message - The SQL Server service account login or password is not valid. Use the SQL Server Configuration Manager to update the service account.

I am wondering if we are getting this error message because we are trying to use gMSA and MSA accounts when the SD schema is still a Server 2008 R2 schema and it has not been updated to the Server 2012 R2 AD schema in order for these account types to work.

Can anyone confirm this or shed some light on this issue.

Thank you

Friday, March 31, 2017 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi freeash,

If I understand this correctly:

>>gMSA

You cannot use it as you had to extend your AD schema to 2012 or later.

>>MSA

This should require Windows Server 2008 R2 domain function level(shouldn’t be an issue with your environment) and the server that hosts SQL Server 2016 should be running Windows Server 2008 R2 or later, could you please verify that? In addition, could you please follow this blog to verify your MSA configuration?

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 3, 2017 5:01 AM