More chaining support in WinRT

General discussion

• I like how the whole async, promise things are working in WinJS.

I stumbled over this piece of code though:

//Create the message dialog and set its content and title
            var msg = new Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog("You have exceeded your trial period.", "Would you like to continue your trial or upgrade to a full membership?");

//Add buttons and set their callback functions
            msg.commands.append(new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommand("Continue trial", function (command) {
                sdkSample.displayStatus("The Continue trial button has been selected.");
                }));
            msg.commands.append(new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommand("Upgrade", function (command) {
                sdkSample.displayStatus("The Upgrade button has been selected.");    
            }));

//Show the message dialog
            msg.showAsync().operation.start();  

And I'd like it to benefit from chaining as well.

How about that?

new Windows.UI.Popups.MessageDialog("You have exceeded your trial period.", "Would you like to continue your trial or upgrade to a full membership?")
      .commands.append(new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommand("Continue trial", function (command) {
        sdkSample.displayStatus("The Continue trial button has been selected.");
      }))
      .commands.append(new Windows.UI.Popups.UICommand("Upgrade", function (command) {
        sdkSample.displayStatus("The Upgrade button has been selected.");    
      })).showAsync().operation.start();

An no more msg var even :)

What you think?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 4:46 PM

All replies

• This will not work!

.commands.append() does not return a MessageDialog.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:34 PM
  • I know that it does not work at the moment. append() "returns" void at the moment. That's why I wrote it would be nice if it would support chaining.

I guess the WinRT API is still not feature frozen so changing void return type to MessageDialog would not break current apps.

So I had hoped the WinRT API guys would consider changing the returned type :)

Friday, November 18, 2011 4:33 AM