Oculus SB extension RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello guys!

Awhile ago, a friend of mine lent me an Oculus rift. It is a virtual reality headset that can be use for immersive gaming. This is how it works: It tracks your head movement and alters the screen view inside the headset to match the way you are looking. This is cool, but I really wanted to use it in smallbasic, so I went ahead and wrote the OculusSB extension. What is does is return for you the yaw, roll and pitch for the Oculus rift. I have already used it in all sorts of smallbasic applications, and it works great! One of my favorites so far is using it with Litdevs 3d extension. Its pretty cool. Another thing I have done with it is hook it up to a webcam on a servo, and then control the servo with Litdevs waveform extention, so it will match the Oculus' movements. 

What I hope to end up accomplishing is using the oculus to control a camera on a RC aircraft, so it will really feel like you are on top  of the airplane.

I figured that other people might want to make use of it, so I'm going to post the extension here:

link

Here is how to use it. First, use OculusSB.PollRift() to update the Yaw, Roll, and Pitch functions. Then you can call OculusSB.GetYaw() (or roll or whatever) to get the desired sensor data. 

Thanks guys, and have fun!

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Saturday, March 5, 2016 3:14 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hey guys! I just got a maestro servo control board and hooked it up to the Oculus with Smallbasic! It works really well!

Control board:

https://www.pololu.com/product/1350

If anyone wants the extension to control the servo board from SB, please let me know and I'll upload it.

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes, please upload it. We'll advertise both extensions. Thank you!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 2:34 AM
  • No problem! 

https://www.mediafire.com/?dubq43s7jfuzuz6

Thursday, March 17, 2016 12:12 AM
    Answerer
  • Zock, would you be up for putting this on TechNet Gallery?

For a few reasons:

1. We can see the progress of the downloads and ratings.
    2. It gets added to your profile stats.
    3. It gets into the gallery ecosystem of downloads.

This article explains the perspective:

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Saturday, March 26, 2016 6:56 AM
  • Yes !!! it would be great to see a TechNet wiki article on that :)

and the reason why:

I am planning next winter to play 3d Golf in my home with Oculus Helmut and real golf clubs !

Is your Small Basic extension for Oculus will work with this brand ??

i am really really interested to buy The Oculus Rift ,developed and manufactured by Oculus VR, and is scheduled for release on 28 March 2016.   

Saturday, March 26, 2016 6:59 PM
    Answerer
  • It should work with the Oculus rift CV1, but I'm not sure. I tested it with the DK1 and DK2.

Also, if you are planning to input video to the Oculus, you are going to have to downgrade the runtime version to 0.6, so you can use "extend to desktop"

If needed, I will post the extension for runtime 0.6.

Monday, March 28, 2016 3:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Everybodys who are interested with Oculus techno.

see that forum:

https://forums.oculus.com/community

As DK2 users test out Oculus Home apps for compatibility please post results here so other DK2 users know what works and what apps may not work with DK2.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/32348/oculus-home-apps-tested-with-dk2

Monday, March 28, 2016 4:37 PM
    Answerer