Getting null when IValueConverter???

Question

• public object Convert(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, string language)
            {
                TextBlock txt = new TextBlock();
                string str = (string)value;
                string[] strList = str.Split('=>');

Run run2 = new Run();
                SolidColorBrush mySolidColorBrush = new SolidColorBrush(Color.FromArgb(255,0,0,255));
                run2.Foreground = mySolidColorBrush;
                txt.Inlines.Add(run2);

return txt;
            }

public object ConvertBack(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, string language)
            {
                return false;
            }

if(i< orth.Count())
                                                            {
                                                                results.senselist += type_translation[i].InnerText.Trim() + "=>" + orth[i].InnerText.Trim() + " ";
                                                            }
                                                            else
                                                            {
                                                                results.senselist += type_translation[i].InnerText.Trim() + "|";
                                                            }

<TextBlock Text="{Binding senselist,Converter={StaticResource textconvert}}"></TextBlock>

On unversial app not suport <label> so I use Textblock. but 

it is null.

Monday, April 20, 2015 6:56 AM

Answers

• If value is NULL in your Convert method, the binding to the senselist property has failed. Make sure that the DataContext of the TextBlock contains a public property named "senselist" and that this property actually returns a string value.

I also notice that you are trying to return a TextBlock from the converter but the Text property of a TextBlock cannot be set to another TextBlock.

You should awlays return a string from the converter. If you want to display the TextBlock in different colours you could bind the Text property of the Run element(s) and for example return a substring of the source string from the converter:

<TextBlock>
    <Run Text="default colour..." />
    <Run Text="{Binding senselist,Converter={StaticResource textconvert}}" Foreground="Green" />
    </TextBlock>

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't post several questions in the same thread.

Monday, April 20, 2015 1:53 PM
  • As I told you, you should return a string an not a TextBlock from the converter. I don't know what you are trying to with the converter though. You are for example not setting the Text property of the Run that you create in there...

Just return a string:

public object Convert(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, string language)
            {

if(strList.Count > 1)
      return strList[1];

return str;
            }

public object ConvertBack(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, string language)
            {
                return false;
            }

Please remember mark all helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't post several questions in the same thread.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 8:07 AM

All replies

• If value is NULL in your Convert method, the binding to the senselist property has failed. Make sure that the DataContext of the TextBlock contains a public property named "senselist" and that this property actually returns a string value.

I also notice that you are trying to return a TextBlock from the converter but the Text property of a TextBlock cannot be set to another TextBlock.

You should awlays return a string from the converter. If you want to display the TextBlock in different colours you could bind the Text property of the Run element(s) and for example return a substring of the source string from the converter:

<TextBlock>
    <Run Text="default colour..." />
    <Run Text="{Binding senselist,Converter={StaticResource textconvert}}" Foreground="Green" />
    </TextBlock>

Please remember to close your threads by marking helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't post several questions in the same thread.

Monday, April 20, 2015 1:53 PM
  • As results is "Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.TextBlock". I had debugger then return txt is nullwhile "txt.Inlines.Add(run2);" is having data. Everyone help me to solve it.

Monday, April 20, 2015 2:08 PM
  • public object Convert(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, string language)
            {
                TextBlock txt = new TextBlock();

Run run2 = new Run();
                SolidColorBrush mySolidColorBrush = new SolidColorBrush(Color.FromArgb(255,0,0,255));
                run2.Foreground = mySolidColorBrush;
                txt.Inlines.Add(run2);

return txt;
            }

{
                return false;
            }

<TextBlock>
    </TextBlock>

As results is "Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.TextBlock". I had debugger then return txt is nullwhile "txt.Inlines.Add(run2);" is having data. Everyone help me to solve it.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:28 AM
  • As I told you, you should return a string an not a TextBlock from the converter. I don't know what you are trying to with the converter though. You are for example not setting the Text property of the Run that you create in there...

Just return a string:

public object Convert(object value, Type targetType, object parameter, string language)
            {

if(strList.Count > 1)
      return strList[1];

return str;
            }

{
                return false;
            }

Please remember mark all helpful posts as answer and then start a new thread if you have a new question. Please don't post several questions in the same thread.

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 8:07 AM
  • <TextBlock> <Run Text="default colour..." />// Here is binding senselist but foreground is defaults??? but It also show fs up. <Run Text="{Binding senselist,Converter={StaticResource textconvert}}" Foreground="Green" /> </TextBlock>

I still not understanding.
    I have a string is "abc=fs"
    I trying to your code then it just show "fs" up. I want both.
    <Run Text="default colour..." /> is "abc"
    <Run Text="{Binding senselist,Converter={StaticResource textconvert}}" Foreground="Green" /> is "fs"

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 8:57 AM