MDS Excel Add In Apply Rules does not work RRS feed

• Question

• I have the most recent version of the MDS Excel plug in installed in Excel 2013, and am running SQL Server 2012 Enterprise.  The Apply Rules button does not perform validation as it should. If I "Publish" data that does not conform to the business rules I have set up, it does return the proper errors indicating what rules have been violated; just using the "Apply Rules" button does not. I have twice gotten it to work momentarily by turning Show Status on and off several times in succession, but I have not been able to identify any consistent sequence that caused it.

Any help offered to resolve my problem would be appreciated.

Sunday, February 9, 2014 12:25 AM

Answers

• I posted the exact same problem over a year ago (I cannot find it now).

The "Apply Rules" in Excel does NOT do what it sounds like it does.  It only revalidates data saved in the database.  It does NOT validate the data you entered into the Excel sheet and have not saved to the database, which would have had to pass validation to be saved.  

The purpose of this button is to revalidate the data after changing business rules, because business rules are not checked retroactively.  This function has no meaning in the Excel add-in because you cannot change business rules in the add-in.

Just ignore the button like I do.

• Edited by Tom Phillips Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mei152 Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:34 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:13 PM

All replies

• Does the lack of error information only occur beyond a certain number of rows?  You should be aware that the Excel add-in is somewhat limited. Error details are only returned for the first 100 error rows.

Val Lovicz
    http://www.profisee.com
    val.lovicz@profisee.com
    As the original creators of Microsoft MDS, Profisee's Master Data Maestro provides a range of enterprise-grade functionality to ensure MDS project success.

• Proposed as answer by Val Lovicz Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mei152 Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:26 PM
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:02 PM
  • Business Rules run only on the server, so you have to publish the data to the model before you can run business rules on it.  By default when you publish data business rules are also run.

So the "Apply Rules" button really just re-runs rules on existing data.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:06 PM
  • David,

Yes, the data I am working with is already published. I have a simple test case set up. I have two products published, and a business rule that requires a description attribute to be unique. One description is "test", and the other is "test1". If I load the records into excel, and change "test1" to "test", then this violates the business rule. If I Apply Rules, it should indicate that the record modified failed validation. This does not happen. If I hit Publish, then I get the notification that the record failed validation. 

My expectation is that Apply Rules runs validation without publishing, thereby giving you feedback that can be acted upon to clean up the data before publishing. This is exactly how I have seen it work in several videos. I believe it was even shown where new records being entered did not have to be published first.   

Any other ideas?

Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:25 PM
  • >My expectation is that Apply Rules runs validation without publishing

It just doesn't work that way. Rules are only applied to published data.

David

David http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dbrowne/

• Proposed as answer by Val Lovicz Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:11 PM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 3:54 PM
  • I posted the exact same problem over a year ago (I cannot find it now).

The "Apply Rules" in Excel does NOT do what it sounds like it does.  It only revalidates data saved in the database.  It does NOT validate the data you entered into the Excel sheet and have not saved to the database, which would have had to pass validation to be saved.  

The purpose of this button is to revalidate the data after changing business rules, because business rules are not checked retroactively.  This function has no meaning in the Excel add-in because you cannot change business rules in the add-in.

Just ignore the button like I do.

• Edited by Tom Phillips Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:14 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mei152 Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:34 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:13 PM
  • I understand what you are saying.  It now makes sense to me that it works the way it does. I don't see the value in having a dedicated Apply Rules button. I guess I will just ignore it as well.

Thanks

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 12:34 AM
  • I got some useful information out of the 'Apply Rules' button:

1. I had a validated entity to start with.
    2. I added a business rule which would render some members of the entity invalid.
    3. I activated the business rule.
    4. Next, I pushed the 'Apply Rules' button in Excel.

I can now see in Excel for which members the validation failed due to the new rule..

• Edited by Ojke Friday, November 6, 2015 1:49 PM
    Friday, November 6, 2015 1:49 PM