none
No Documentation available for each "Shared Project"

Question

• I have my BIG code (https://www.nuget.org/packages/RopHelperLib) structured as a lot of Shared Projects.

Each Shared Projects contains a group of helpers with a common "subject".

But a lot of shared projects resides under same "Namespace". 

When I documented my library... ALL Shared Projects are mixed together:  (See at: http://ramoneeza.github.io/RopHelperSnippets/)

And my documentation is useless

¿There are some method to create a TOC using PROJECT NAME (even shared project) instead Namespace?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by RamonEEZA Friday, February 12, 2016 6:50 AM links
    Friday, February 12, 2016 6:49 AM

Answers

• Hi RamonEEZA,

According to your description, I create a sample solution which contains two common project, one common class library and one Shared Project. Then I create a XML documentation for the class library and reference both class library and Shared Project for that two common project.

After building, I found the Shared Project comments will be generated in the common projects' XML documents, which is duplicate in two project XML documents. But I also find that the class library XML document duplicate in these two projects too.

So I think this is the design for Visual Studio. I suggest you to feedback this issue to Visual Studio Connect and then share the link here. It can let other communities who has the same problem vote and add comments for your feedback.  I think the report team experts will evaluate this problem seriously. Thanks for your feedback for the VS products.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by RamonEEZA Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:25 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:31 AM

All replies

• Hi RamonEEZA,

This forum is discuss Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

How do you implement document for your projects? What project type and language are you using? Please provide more information about your project, which can let me help you find out the appropriate forum for your problem.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, February 15, 2016 5:12 AM
  • Shared Projects can't be compiled themselves so I can't generate XML Documentation.

In HUGE solutions I "split" severan repetitive code/classes in Shared Projects (indeed it is the shared project common use)

BUT when a lot of shared projects are used. Documentation is a nightmare!!! (All documentation tools are based in real projects (.sln) or .XML documentation files)

When the same shared library is used in several projects... Documentation is duplicated.

When a BIG classes scenario is splitted in several shared projects (same namespace but each shared projects an inner significance) Documentation is presented by namespace or whatever WITHOUT POSIBILITY OF ORDER BY Shared Project

So in a real scenario with a lot of shared projects fulfilling its role... generated documentacion is very useless!!!

Monday, February 15, 2016 6:44 AM
  • Hi RamonEEZA,

According to your description, I create a sample solution which contains two common project, one common class library and one Shared Project. Then I create a XML documentation for the class library and reference both class library and Shared Project for that two common project.

After building, I found the Shared Project comments will be generated in the common projects' XML documents, which is duplicate in two project XML documents. But I also find that the class library XML document duplicate in these two projects too.

So I think this is the design for Visual Studio. I suggest you to feedback this issue to Visual Studio Connect and then share the link here. It can let other communities who has the same problem vote and add comments for your feedback.  I think the report team experts will evaluate this problem seriously. Thanks for your feedback for the VS products.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by RamonEEZA Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:25 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:31 AM