none
Welcome to the Visual Studio Tools for Applications (VSTA) forum! RRS feed

• General discussion

• Welcome to the VSTA forum!

Use this forum to ask questions and comment about VSTA integration with your product and building VSTA applications. 

The latest version of VSTA can be found through the links below:

If you can't find what you are looking for or have any suggestions, by all means please let us know; we are here to help.

Thank you!

Xiaoying is a program manager in Microsoft Visual Studio Office Developer Tools team | This post is provided "as-is"

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:46 AM

All replies

• Hi, guys!

Where can I find any developer documentation on VSTA 2012? It seems like there's no information about VSTA 2012 release on MSDN yet. Even VSTA 2012/VSTA 2012 SDK download pages contain no instructions where to locate VSTA docs and samples after downloading.

Maybe, there are only several minor differences with VSTA 2.0? If so, this fact should be pointed out directly by providing links to old VSTA 2.0 documentation along with changelog-style description and, again, with some short "How to start" guide, isn't it?

I apologise if someone would consider this message as containing a bit of criticism, but I would really like if someone could explain me where to start diving in VSTA 2012 without any previous experience with subject. 

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Hello!

It seems like no one is responsible for answering VSTA 2012 questions at the moment, am I right?

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:15 PM
  • Hi Dmitri,

The VSTA 2012 documentations are included in VSTA 2012 SDK, which you can find here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=38806. After you install the SDK, you can find the documentations and sample code of it.

Thanks,

Xiaoying

Xiaoying is a program manager in Microsoft Visual Studio Office Developer Tools team | This post is provided "as-is"

Wednesday, May 15, 2013 11:37 PM
  • Thank you very much for answering.

But my question was on about where to locate VSTA 2012 SDK documentation / samples folder after downloading. I have Windows 8 running & I have no idea where this folder is located on my hard drive. It seems like there's no items in "Start menu" created after install (at least I can't find them in my Windows 8 "Search screen"). What should I do? Should I perform a brutal search for a folder containing "VSTA" in its name?

Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:23 AM
  • Hi Dmitri,

Ideally this should be in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\VSTA\11.0\SDK Help". I think Windows 8 has a great search capability for Apps - typing "VSTA" might not be a brutal search but a fruitful search.

Thanks,

Gaurav

Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:36 PM
  • Typing "VSTA" in a search box inside applications screen returns nothing at all. Only brutal search on disk C:\ returns the folder ... SDKs\VSTA, that you've mentioned in your comment. I'm just guessing why there isn't any menu item related to "VSTA" in a place which was previously called "Start menu".
    Friday, May 17, 2013 9:37 PM
  • Hi Dmitri,

Are you able to find the doc through the path that Gaurap pointed out? If you are working on a x64 machine, the doc path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\VSTA\11.0\SDK Help\VSTA Sample Host Integration.docx. There are other docs and samples in the same folder.

Thanks,

Xiaoying

Monday, May 20, 2013 6:22 PM
  • After the VSTA SDK is installed, its components are placed into the Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\VSTA\11.0 folder

This is a quote from the document "VSTA Sample Host Integration.docx" which, of course, I was able to find under the folder you've mentioned above, but only as a result of searching for a folder with name containing "VSTA" on my local hard drive. Then the same path was provided by Gaurap in his comment. Anyway, thank you very much for your continuous attempts to help me.

As a conclusion, I think it would be great if the file "VSTA Sample Host Integration.docx" (or at least the quote above) would be available at the stage of downloading VSTA SDK. This can be done, for example, by adding some description to VSTA SDK download page. I think, it will significantly reduce annoyance during understanding of what has just been installed and where I should locate it.

Monday, May 20, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback Dmitri. I definitely hear you. Let me work with my team to make it better.

Regards,

Xiaoying

Friday, May 24, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Hi Dmitri,

FYI, the download page for the VSTA 2012 SDK has been updated to include the walkthrough document. Thanks again for your feedback. Like always, please feel free to let me know if you have any other comments about VSTA.

Thanks,

Xiaoying

Friday, May 31, 2013 12:14 AM
  • The download link for VSTA 2012 above does not work and when I go to Microsoft DOWNLOADS and search for Microsoft Visual Studio for Applications 2012 it gives me a link that doesn't work. I found the "Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012" in Web Platform Installer 4.6 and installed that. Does that include the VSTA tool??? WHAT GIVES??

Kathryn Birstein, Senior SharePoint Architect

Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:47 PM
  • Hi Kathryn,

Could you please try the links again? Both of them work for me now.

The Office Developer Tools doesn't include VSTA. It's about the tooling to build app for Office/SharePoint, SharePoint sandboxed/farm solutions and VSTO.

Thanks,

Xiaoying

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Is there a way to load more than one project into a VSTA 2012 solution, it is not clear from the documentation if this is possible.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:33 PM
  • We want to provide customization of our applications (C++ and .Net C# both). Evaluating VSTA, it  looks like a good fit, but really not good enough examples and documentation.

I have few questions or concerns - 

1. What are the differences/similarities with VSTA 2.0, Can we try or use VSTA 2.0 examples to understand VSTA 2012?

2. Can we have some detail example for VSTA 2012 like the ones provided with VSTA 2.0 (e.g. - shapeApp samples which by the way no longer available for downloading!!! ).

3. The given documentation ("VSTA Sample Host Integration.docx") and example only illustrates the part which loads Visual Studio, creates, saves, compiles and runs a template project on C#.

4. No documentation available on how to work with VB projects/scripts in VSTA 2012.

5. Document tells nothing about how to provide host application's APIs for customization or overwrite any host  object by scripting. In VSTA 2.0 I think there was a concept of Proxy classes, do we have similar concept here too?

6. Debugging part is also not complete in the documentation. Starting the external process and running  the Addin is not clear.

Please provide more elaborate documentation if possible. Thanks!

• Edited by Gyan Manjhi Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:37 PM Added few more points
    Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:27 AM
  • I am attempting to upgrade from Visual Studio 2008 to 2012. A good part of my development has involved InfoPath Form Templates with Visual Basic code. Unfortunately, despite downloading and installing both links (VSTA 2012 and VSTA 2012 SDK), I still have no luck using Visual Studio 2012 to develop Visual Basic code for an InfoPath template. I would like to debug code for InfoPath 2010 form templates in the Visual Studio 2012 IDE and I believe that the VSTA 2012 download should allow for this. Are there any sample downloads of a working InfoPath solution perhaps? Should the VSTA 2012 install include project templates for InfoPath form templates?

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Casey

Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:15 PM
  • We want to provide customization of our applications (C++ and .Net C# both). Evaluating VSTA, it  looks like a good fit, but really not good enough examples and documentation.

I have few questions or concerns - 

1. What are the differences/similarities with VSTA 2.0, Can we try or use VSTA 2.0 examples to understand VSTA 2012?

2. Can we have some detail example for VSTA 2012 like the ones provided with VSTA 2.0 (e.g. - shapeApp samples which by the way no longer available for downloading!!! ).

3. The given documentation ("VSTA Sample Host Integration.docx") and example only illustrates the part which loads Visual Studio, creates, saves, compiles and runs a template project on C#.

4. No documentation available on how to work with VB projects/scripts in VSTA 2012.

5. Document tells nothing about how to provide host application's APIs for customization or overwrite any host  object by scripting. In VSTA 2.0 I think there was a concept of Proxy classes, do we have similar concept here too?

6. Debugging part is also not complete in the documentation. Starting the external process and running  the Addin is not clear.

Please provide more elaborate documentation if possible. Thanks!

Hi Xiaoying,

Could you answer on questions above?

Monday, February 2, 2015 11:54 AM
  • I also would like to point out how lacking the 2013 documentation is

i did the walkthrough, great

i can start, load, edit and save a copy of my template project.

but the example does not tell you how to LOAD the newly saved and edited template.  It just recreates the empty template every time!

there is no documentation on how to actually modify the host app from within the template app.  i can find proxy documentation, but not that belongs to VSTA 2013.

help!!!

Thursday, July 9, 2015 6:00 PM