Visual Studio Professional RC 2013 Crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wanted to use the Python Tools For Visual Studio. First I used the PTVS+VS Version, it worked but lots of features where not available.

So I uninstalled it and installed Visual Studio Professional RC 2013. 

Installation went smoothly, but as soon as I try to open it, it crashes.

Tried to un-install and re-install several times.. but it does not seams to help.

I run windows 8.1 on Dell XPS 

Any suggestions 

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:56 PM

Answers

• You should probably be using the RTM bits at this point. Nevertheless, most of the crash on startup issues I've seen have been related to buggy video drivers. Ensure you have the latest video driver for your system, and if that doesn't work, you might want to try disabling WPF's usage of hardware acceleration, and see if that helps.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:25 PM

All replies

• There are some Devenv Command Line Switches which you could try, like /SafeMode, or maybe the /Log option would help you trace what is causing the crash.

--
    Andrew

Thursday, October 24, 2013 6:21 PM
  • You should probably be using the RTM bits at this point. Nevertheless, most of the crash on startup issues I've seen have been related to buggy video drivers. Ensure you have the latest video driver for your system, and if that doesn't work, you might want to try disabling WPF's usage of hardware acceleration, and see if that helps.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:25 PM