none
Need to create Kinect App to run on XBox One RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am new to Kinect!! I need to create an application which will be able to run on XBox One directly.

Currently i created a sample WPF application which is running on Windows PC but Unable to run on XBox One.

So my question is "Should i create App For Windows Store using Visual studio 2013 and push to Windows Store", then will be able to install that app on XBox One or is there any other process?

Moreover, "is there any other way to develop a web-application for Kinect which easily run on Web-browser?"

Please suggest to help me on this.

Thanks!

Ashish Narnoli

Saturday, June 6, 2015 2:29 AM

Answers

• Hello Ashish,

Cross-platform development is when you target more than a single platform for your application. While developing for multiple platforms, you need to use good design practices and be familiar about each platform to help minimize the amount of code that must be re-written. For example, if you are creating a PC game that you also want to ship on the Xbox, then you should probably choose to use DirectX instead of OpenGL, to avoid a lot of code churn later.

Windows 10 and the Universal Windows Platform (UWP), will greatly simplify cross-platform development. However, it will not completely eliminate the need to write platform-specific code. In the case of Kinect, the APIs are different between the Xbox and the PC, so you will still need to re-write the part of your code that works with Kinect. You might also need to customize your application's UI to target each device (ex: phone apps have a much smaller resolution than Xbox apps). Understanding the limitations (performance, graphics, etc), of each device that you plan to ship on, and then modifying your application for that device, will be very important. You're not really building a single application and then deploying it to all devices. Instead, you will be building an application for your primary device (PC), and then adapting it to fit the others (Xbox, phone, Hololens, etc).

In short, Windows 10 will make developing for multiple devices *much* easier, but it will not eliminate the need to adapt and test your code for each target platform.

~Angela

• Marked as answer by Ashish N Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:28 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:40 AM

All replies

• Hello Ashish,

Creating a Windows store app will not enable you to install that app on Xbox One. For Xbox One development, you must use the Xbox One XDK and have access to a development kit. For more information, check out the ID@Xbox program (http://www.xbox.com/en-us/Developers/id). The XDK should provide the tools and templates that you will need to run on that device. While many of the tools are similar to K4W, the APIs are different. Also, I do not believe that Xbox One supports WPF applications.

For browser applications, check out this thread: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/15100538-7076-4511-9ce0-4d34dbe8becd/kinect-v2-with-webbrowser?forum=kinectv2sdk

Also, here is a more recent post by a group that offers a web-based solution for Kinect in Unity, which you might find useful: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5704cb38-d063-48d8-b354-b782835b59f0/kinemotosdk-just-released-kinect-v2-in-the-browser?forum=kinectv2sdk

I hope this helps,

~Angela

Monday, June 8, 2015 8:51 PM
  • Hi Angela,

Thank you so much for your response. I am sure it will help me a lot.

I saw somewhere that Windows 10 allows developers to make cross-platform apps and game. I am quite confuse at this point.

What does "cross-platform apps and game" means? At that moment we develop game for windows pc having Kinect capabilities then we can deploy game on XBox one console as well or something else?

Moreover, if the game is developed with XBox One XDK then with windows 10 should we will able to play on both - Xbox console and Windows PC?

Please correct me where i am wrong.

Many Thanks!

Ashish Narnoli

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 7:45 AM
  • Hello Ashish,

Cross-platform development is when you target more than a single platform for your application. While developing for multiple platforms, you need to use good design practices and be familiar about each platform to help minimize the amount of code that must be re-written. For example, if you are creating a PC game that you also want to ship on the Xbox, then you should probably choose to use DirectX instead of OpenGL, to avoid a lot of code churn later.

Windows 10 and the Universal Windows Platform (UWP), will greatly simplify cross-platform development. However, it will not completely eliminate the need to write platform-specific code. In the case of Kinect, the APIs are different between the Xbox and the PC, so you will still need to re-write the part of your code that works with Kinect. You might also need to customize your application's UI to target each device (ex: phone apps have a much smaller resolution than Xbox apps). Understanding the limitations (performance, graphics, etc), of each device that you plan to ship on, and then modifying your application for that device, will be very important. You're not really building a single application and then deploying it to all devices. Instead, you will be building an application for your primary device (PC), and then adapting it to fit the others (Xbox, phone, Hololens, etc).

In short, Windows 10 will make developing for multiple devices *much* easier, but it will not eliminate the need to adapt and test your code for each target platform.

~Angela

• Marked as answer by Ashish N Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:28 AM
    Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:40 AM
  • Hi Angela,

Great Help!!

Your reply really eliminates my confusion over Universal Windows Platform. Here i am thinking to start development for XBox one console by having member of ID@XBox group.

Again Thanks a-lot!!

Ashish Narnoli

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 5:27 AM