Azure File Sync - Disable cloud tiering RRS feed

• Question

• Dear

I have an Azure File Share which contains 4.2 TB of data.

There are 9 server endpoints which are connected via a Sync Group to that Azure File Share.

7 of those server endpoints had cloud tiering enabled.

We decided that one of the 7 server endpoints should have cloud tiering disabled.

I switched off the cloud tiering for one server endpoint, but it does not start to download the files in the Azure File Share.

Is this normal behaviour? I thought that the server was going to download all required files.

I checked the event viewer of the concerned server, and it states the following in the operational log: "Server replica sync completed. Local share name: XXXXXXXX_e09b2da-e4b6-4163-9df7-db51d99d67bf. Replica Upn: *. Replica path: \\?\E:\Share\XXXXXXX. Remote share name: XXXXXXXX.  Server device id: 4BEB468F-0987-408B-AAC6-5B766AAF90AE. Cluster id: . Error: 0. CorrelationId: {C62E4F01-1E0D-4DDF-8B93-767A7A6D7D2E} SyncScenario: RegularSync  SyncSessionFlags: 0 SyncDirection: Download ReplicaFlags: 0."

• Edited by Raski Monday, May 6, 2019 11:00 AM
    Monday, May 6, 2019 10:01 AM

All replies

• It will download when accessed and not tier them back if cloud tiering is enabled

When the cloud tiering feature is enabled, cloud tiering automatically tiers files based on last access and modify times to achieve the volume free space percentage specified on the cloud endpoint. Sometimes, though, you might want to manually force a file to tier. This might be useful if you save a large file that you don't intend to use again for a long time, and you want the free space on your volume now to use for other files and folders. You can force tiering by using the following PowerShell commands:

```powershell
    Import-Module "C:\Program Files\Azure\StorageSyncAgent\StorageSync.Management.ServerCmdlets.dll"
    Invoke-StorageSyncCloudTiering -Path <file-or-directory-to-be-tiered>
    ```

When enabling cloud tiering on a server endpoint, you set a volume free space policy. It always takes precedence over any other policies, including the date policy. Optionally, you can enable a date policy for each server endpoint on that volume, meaning that only files accessed (that is, read or written to) within the range of days this policy describes will be kept local, with any staler files tiered. Keep in mind that the volume free space policy always takes precedence, and when there isn’t enough free space on the volume to retain as many days worth of files as described by the date policy, Azure File Sync will continue tiering the coldest files until the volume free space percentage is met.

For example, say you have a date-based tiering policy of 60 days and a volume free space policy of 20%. If, after applying the date policy, there is less than 20% of free space on the volume, the volume free space policy will kick in and override the date policy. This will result in more files being tiered, such that the amount of data kept on the server may be reduced from 60 days of data to 45 days. Conversely, this policy will force the tiering of files that fall outside of your time range even if you have not hit your free space threshold – so a file that is 61 days old will be tiered even if your volume is empty

Additional information: With Azure File Sync, all data always goes to the cloud - regardless of whether cloud tiering is enabled or not. The behavior is exactly as you described: all data is synced, older files are tiered with pointers to their locations in the Azure file share. This enables us to support scenarios like Fast DR and snapshot coordination/management via Azure Backup (and eventually fully backup support).

You can verify that all data is indeed synced by mounting the Azure file share or viewing the file share from the Azure portal.

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 7:13 AM
  • Hi 

Thanks for your reply, but that is not an answer to my question.

It might be that you misunderstood my situation.

Let me explain again.

- Cloud Tiering was enabled on a AFS server endpoint, and was in sync (365days and 10%)
    - I disabled cloud tiering for that server and expect a full download of all files of the AFS file share.
    - There is sufficient free disk space, more than 6TB.
    - However, the data is not being downloaded and I don't know why.
    - Another AFS server endpoint where I never enabled cloud tiering has all the data cached on the local disks.

Why is the AFS server endpoint where I disabled cloud tiering not downloading everything locally?

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 1:00 PM
  • When cloud tiering is disabled, that means no new files will be tiered. Files that are already tiered will remain tiered until they’re accessed. You can force all tiered files to be downloaded locally by running the Invoke-StorageSyncFileRecall cmdlet.

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
    Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, May 10, 2019 6:28 PM
  • @Raski Just checking in to see if the above answer helped. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same, which might be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Monday, May 13, 2019 9:18 AM