Windows 8 Dev. Preview - Blank Screen after MSE

Question

• I've been beta-testing the Windows 8 Developer Preview for several days (since it came out). Yesterday I installed 'Microsoft Security Essentials' and now all I get is a black screen (right after displaying the "Windows 8 Developer Preview" logo). I don't know if it is related to the MSE or if something else happened but that's the only change I did yesterday. The system is a Lenovo R61i and it's the 64bit version of Win8. The sistem still works, the only thing is that the screen is black when the OS has loaded (I know it works because it connects to the wireless router).
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:42 AM

Answers

• I don't know whether it will help, but what if you press SHIFT+F8 right after the POST test message while booting the OS to get the boot menu and select this option:

Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver

Please follow the steps, described in this article.

I believe, since you've installed another product that may use drivers to intercept low-level system calls, and since the new Windows Defender supports the new option of early launch (or is it what we had for years?), these two drivers may be conflicting with each other. Since you get the black screen right after the Splash boot screen, it looks like the early staring anti-malware driver fails to start. If there be an option, I'd also go into Step-by-step booting and skip loading of non-Windows 8 drivers.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    • Marked as answer by JerryDeveloper Monday, September 26, 2011 8:45 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Windows Defender in Windows 8 Developer Preview already contains the anti-virus engine, so you should not install MSE in it.

On the other hand, there is clearly missing a hard block to block you from installing MSE on top of the preview.

Press and hold SHIFT+F8 during the boot to get you into the DOS-based menu from where you can disable the early antimalware driver. Than uninstall MSE as soon as possible. If you are not successful in getting into the menu, try several times.

• Marked as answer by JerryDeveloper Monday, September 26, 2011 8:44 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:55 AM

All replies

• Ok I had the same exact problem....I knew it was connecting because I could hear the sounds of the logon screen after i typed my password in (I just assumed that if I could h ear sound everything was loading - just the screen was black.  While the screen was black, I dragged the screen upwards with the mouse, entered password, hit enter, entered password again just in case I entered wrong...and i heard the logon).

It happened after I installed the updates...but while I was installing updates I also updated my NVIDIA Geforce driver....don't know which caused my screen to go black, but I finally got it to work by pushing every single button on my computer.  The screen finally popped up after I hit the sleep and awake button (monitor).  After I did that I rolled my driver back just in case...No problems so far.

I should note: I did not receive the "black screen of death" (BsoD) or any message ... it was just a black screen.

• Edited by eldreams Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:57 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 2:55 AM
  • On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 00:42:55 +0000, JerryDeveloper wrote:

I've been beta-testing the Windows 8 Developer Preview for several days (since it came out). Yesterday I installed 'Microsoft Security Essentials' and now all I get is a black screen (right after displaying the "Windows 8 Developer Preview" logo). I don't know if it is related to the MSE or if something else happened but that's the only change I did yesterday. The system is a Lenovo R61i and it's the 64bit version of Win8. The sistem still works, the only thing is that the screen is black when the OS has loaded (I know it works because it connects to the wireless router).

I don't know what the problem is but as an FYI, there's no need to install
    MSE on Windows 8. MSE and Windows Defender have merged and have been
    renamed to Windows Defender and it is part of the Windows 8 default
    install.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Computer problems? Have you checked the loose nut in front of the keyboard?

Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:10 AM
  • We seem to be missing the ability to kick off an on-demand scan of a file though.
    rtk
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:46 AM
  • I don't know what the problem is but as an FYI, there's no need to install

MSE on Windows 8. MSE and Windows Defender have merged and have been
    renamed to Windows Defender and it is part of the Windows 8 default
    install.

Paul Adare
    Computer problems? Have you checked the loose nut in front of the keyboard?

I saw on the blog that that will be the case in the final product, but are you sure it was implemented in the preview?

• Edited by spamatron Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:54 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 5:54 AM
  • On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 05:54:03 +0000, spamatron wrote:

I saw on the blog that that will be the case in the final product, but are you sure it was implemented in the preview?

I'm not in the habit of posting about features and functions that I haven't
    actually used.

Paul Adare
    No program done by an undergrad will work after she graduates.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:03 AM
  • I'm not in the habit of posting about features and functions that I haven't

actually used.

How silly of me to ask for clarification. 
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:11 AM
  • On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 06:11:18 +0000, spamatron wrote:

How silly of me to ask for clarification.

Typing Defender on the Start screen would have gotten you the clarification
    you were looking for without having to rely on someone else or questioning
    what I'd posted.

Paul Adare
    Why do we want intelligent terminals when there are so many stupid users?

Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:21 AM
  • I don't know whether it will help, but what if you press SHIFT+F8 right after the POST test message while booting the OS to get the boot menu and select this option:

Disable Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver

Please follow the steps, described in this article.

I believe, since you've installed another product that may use drivers to intercept low-level system calls, and since the new Windows Defender supports the new option of early launch (or is it what we had for years?), these two drivers may be conflicting with each other. Since you get the black screen right after the Splash boot screen, it looks like the early staring anti-malware driver fails to start. If there be an option, I'd also go into Step-by-step booting and skip loading of non-Windows 8 drivers.

• Marked as answer by JerryDeveloper Monday, September 26, 2011 8:45 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Typing Defender on the Start screen would have gotten you the clarification

you were looking for without having to rely on someone else or questioning
    what I'd posted.

Are you trying to be a tool or does it just come naturally?
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:01 AM
  • Sir, would you please stop your attacking? I don't think that is what you've got your MVP status for, rightfully so.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:17 AM
  • Windows Defender in Windows 8 Developer Preview already contains the anti-virus engine, so you should not install MSE in it.

On the other hand, there is clearly missing a hard block to block you from installing MSE on top of the preview.

Press and hold SHIFT+F8 during the boot to get you into the DOS-based menu from where you can disable the early antimalware driver. Than uninstall MSE as soon as possible. If you are not successful in getting into the menu, try several times.

• Marked as answer by JerryDeveloper Monday, September 26, 2011 8:44 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:55 AM
  • On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:17:15 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

Sir, would you please stop your attacking? I don't think that is what you've got your MVP status for, rightfully so.

Please show me how anything I've posted is in any way an attack. They are
    simply facts. How can a fact be an attack?

Paul Adare
    A computer program does what you tell it to do, not what you want it to do.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:07 AM
  • If you were telling facts, nobody would comment. You help people a lot here, nobody would disagree. I think everybody appreciates this, because you are sharing your knowledge with people. But "typing Defender" isn't a fact of merge. And it isn't sharing of knowledge. This gives no answer on what to do with driver conflict.

Moreover, it's more confusing to give people a view like merge could have eliminated the need for Microsoft Security Essentials or result in conflict. As an example, I'm having Kaspersky solution running side-by-side Defender on my rig and have had no single conflict to date.

If MSFT had to tell everybody asking for help / suggestion to do anything "without having to rely", that would have stopped their business. People here, as a potential or current customer, DO RELY on MSFT and people that Microsoft has granted a very important title, which is MVP.

Most of MVPs I know dedicate their time to help people solve complex problems. And that's why having a tile of MVP is so important. People tend to rely on MVPs because they know, since MSFT has acknowledged it, they can trust and rely on Professionals.

Thank you.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 9:52 AM
  • On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 09:52:50 +0000, Exotic Hadron wrote:

If you were telling facts, nobody would comment. You help people a lot here, nobody would disagree. I think everybody appreciates this, because you are sharing your knowledge with people. But "typing Defender" isn't a fact of merge. And it isn't sharing of knowledge. This gives no answer on what to do with driver conflict.

Moreover, it's more confusing to give people a view like merge could have eliminated the need for Microsoft Security Essentials or result in conflict. As an example, I'm having Kaspersky solution running side-by-side Defender on my rig and have had no single conflict to date.

I guess you must have a bit of a problem following threads here. I
    originally followed up to the original posted to let them know that there's
    no longer any need to install MSE. That's all, no more, no less. I had/have
    no idea whether or not his or her problem is related to the installation of
    MSE or not but I wasn't addressing that particular issue. I was still
    providing useful information however.

It really isn't up to you to define what is and is not useful here.

Paul Adare
    Structured Programming supports the law of the excluded muddle.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:04 AM
  • Thank you very much, all of you. After several reboots, I tried using the Shift-F8 approach and it worked... I still don't know if it was related to MSE but I uninstalled anyway.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Paul -

While your posts were certainly useful, there is a benefit in the use of tact, and in being polite in general.  I don't view your posts as "attacks", but certainly Microsoft has an interest in ensuring that the forums continue to be a forum (no pun intended) where everyone - including the relatively inexperienced - are welcome to ask questions, and welcome to ask for clarification.

The first listed rule on the "Microsoft MVP Code of Conduct" is, "1 - No disrespectful behavior."

There's nothing in the world at all that you lose by giving the benefit of the doubt to others, or being nice.  Thanks.

Technology Applied
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 2:45 AM