Publishing VB code RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Hoping you can help me

I have designed a VB form in Visual studio.

I know need to publish it in a way that I can email it over to other to people and it will still work?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Rgds,

chaz

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 11:55 AM

Answers

• In the IDE menu, File, Export Template will guide you thru creating a template which when finished will place the items in a zip file and open Windows Explorer to the folder this zip file is. You woul then give this file, in this case via email. Whom you send this to, they can unzip and use the contents or you can tell them to place the file in the same location as yours (if your user name is embeded in the path tell them about this).

Make sure if there are any dependencies i.e. third party controls or references to indicate this to the person receiving the file.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

• Marked as answer by Youen Zen Friday, June 21, 2013 7:49 AM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

Hoping you can help me

I know need to publish it in a way that I can email it over to other to people and it will still work?

Rgds,

chaz

Note that some email does not allow executeables in attachments in order to disallow transfer of viruses. I don't know if they check zipped folders for them or not. May be better for you to add the zipped folder to your SkyDrive and notify people via mail, with a link to the download in mail, that the app is available for download. Or you can click on your public folder in SkyDrive to open it, right click on the folder you want people to access and there will be various functions you can do like send an email to someone with the link to the folder embedded in the email.

And the .Net Framework level your application targets must be applicable to whatever the other persons computer has on it if I'm not mistaken.

You've taught me everything I know but not everything you know.

• Edited by Mr. Monkeyboy Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:44 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:40 PM

All replies

• In the IDE menu, File, Export Template will guide you thru creating a template which when finished will place the items in a zip file and open Windows Explorer to the folder this zip file is. You woul then give this file, in this case via email. Whom you send this to, they can unzip and use the contents or you can tell them to place the file in the same location as yours (if your user name is embeded in the path tell them about this).

Make sure if there are any dependencies i.e. third party controls or references to indicate this to the person receiving the file.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

Hoping you can help me

Rgds,

chaz

Note that some email does not allow executeables in attachments in order to disallow transfer of viruses. I don't know if they check zipped folders for them or not. May be better for you to add the zipped folder to your SkyDrive and notify people via mail, with a link to the download in mail, that the app is available for download. Or you can click on your public folder in SkyDrive to open it, right click on the folder you want people to access and there will be various functions you can do like send an email to someone with the link to the folder embedded in the email.

And the .Net Framework level your application targets must be applicable to whatever the other persons computer has on it if I'm not mistaken.

You've taught me everything I know but not everything you know.

• Edited by Mr. Monkeyboy Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:44 PM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 1:40 PM