none
VS Express 2015 ..

Question

• Brand new, trying to learn C .. installed VS Express 2015 on Win 10 OS desktop .. just using std "Hello World" beginning C program ... compiles correctly but for the life of me there is no output display screen with print out "Hello World"  .. cannot find Win 32 console or using C prompt screen that displays output if that is issue .. very poor documentation on IDE use of Express version .. should I use VS Studio .. very confused .. and beginner .. an help appreciated 
    Saturday, December 17, 2016 5:49 PM

Answers

• Hi jog1418,

The MSDN forum has itself policy, we cannot post several question in the same thread. So I would you suggest you re-post new thread about your issue that you encountered.

Since one thread for one issue, would you please open a new case for this new issue? In this way, our discussion here will not deviate too much from the original issue. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

If a reply above has solved your issue or doubts, please remember to mark it as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 5:46 AM

All replies

• Does your program has

system("PAUSE");

or other method to stop the execution before the console is closed ?

Saturday, December 17, 2016 6:06 PM
  • I used getchar(); to pause 

#include <studio.h>

int main ()

{

printf ("Hello World");

getchar();

}

Sunday, December 18, 2016 2:35 AM
  • Hi jog1418,

Thanks for your post.

Have you solved the issue yet?  Please mark your reply as an answer if you’ve already solved it.

I’ve tested the following code in my side, and it worked well.

#include "stdafx.h"

int main()

{

printf("Hello World!\n");

getchar();

}

Please try the code above if your issue hasn’t been solved yet.

If this issue still exits, please make sure that you’ve used the VS Express 2015 for desktop which supports Visual C++. And you could build a Win32 Console Application to write C code.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 9:30 AM
  • Thanks for reply. No code does not work.  I cannot find WIN 32 Console Application that I am sure is the issue.

Using VS Express 2015 for Windows 10 .. when I got New Project > Visual C++ there is no Win 32 app shown .. Download Windows 10 SDK Standalone that I thought would work but cannot make it work.

I will uninstall my current version of VS and download VS Express 2015 for desktop and see if I can find Win 32 console .. pls just bounce back and tell me if I am on correct path .. Thanks 

Monday, December 19, 2016 11:23 PM
  • Thanks for reply. No code does not work.  I cannot find WIN 32 Console Application that I am sure is the issue.

Using VS Express 2015 for Windows 10 .. when I got New Project > Visual C++ there is no Win 32 app shown .. Download Windows 10 SDK Standalone that I thought would work but cannot make it work.

I will uninstall my current version of VS and download VS Express 2015 for desktop and see if I can find Win 32 console .. pls just bounce back and tell me if I am on correct path .. Thanks 

Which Visual Studio 2015 Express version are you attempting to use?

Also you should really use Visual Studio 2015 Community which also is free and provides much more capability than Express versions.

However Visual Studio 2015 Express for Desktop would be the version for writing Console, Windows.Forms and possibly WPF applications.

Regadless of which you download you should create a restore point on your system prior to installing them in case something happens.

And with VS 2015 Community I would download the ISO, selectable after selecting Download at the link, to download. Then copy it to a DVD of appropriate capacity for installing it on your system. As the web install can fail causing unwanted issues to occur on a system.

La vida loca

Monday, December 19, 2016 11:43 PM
  • Hi jog1418,

I agree with La vida loca's suggestion.

Please give it a try and I will be here until you are back.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:18 AM
  • I appreciate your thoughts because I am about to give up .. Just completed Walkthrough: Working with Projects and Solutions (C++) from  ... using VS 2105 Express for Desktops .. Win 10 OS 

All screens completed and Adding Source File .. in Solution Explorer expand Installed node and supposedly I should next expand Visual C++ node BUT there is no Visual C++ mode .. nothing under expanded Install mode ?? 

Please direct me forum for beginners ..

Friday, December 23, 2016 2:48 AM
  • Hi jog1418,

Don’t worry, I will help you get through it.

Please try to follow the steps below:

1 install VS2015 community (which is free) download site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/confirmation.aspx?id=48146

Choose Custom when it starts installing:  

Make sure Visual C++ (common tools for Visual C++ 2015) is selected:

2 After the installation is done, you could create a new project like below.Under Visual C++, you will find Win32 Console application (which I am using) 

In the .cpp file you could write your C/C++ code, my example is like below:

Build the code and press Ctrl + F5 to run it, the result is shown below:

Feel free to let me know if you have any issues. And Good luck.

Best regards,

Fletch

MSDN Community Support

Friday, December 23, 2016 4:46 AM
  • Well Thanks but more baffled??

Loaded VS Community .. everything went smooth and built program as per instructions but when Build both printf and getchar  have squiggly underscore which reads

identifier "printf" is undefined ...

tried #include <stdio.h> and Build said it cannot find library file ..

Suggestions ??? doesn't look like C++ is really installed as I may be a beginner but the Hello World program I do understand ..

Friday, December 23, 2016 11:54 PM
  • Some work .. renamed source file to .c vs .cpp and that eliminated the error : identifier "printf" is undefined 

But still won't complile and searching code found MSB8036: Windows SDK Version 8.1 not found ??

Downloaded VS Community and download plus install work properly .. I thought all applicable compiler files would load ??

Saturday, December 24, 2016 7:22 PM
  • Hi jog1418,

In cpp file we need put an #include "stdafx.h" at the top, we could write both C++ and C code under it. It works fine in my end.

>>  MSB8036: Windows SDK Version 8.1 not found

As the error message says, you could try installing the windows sdk 8.1 from below link to solve this problem.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-8-1-sdk

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support

Monday, December 26, 2016 1:59 AM
  • I am using Win 10 OS but added Win SDK 8.1 per link you suggested but again when compiling "Hello World" program it will not build because it cannot find SDK 8.1 so not sure if it is a path issue or not .. Also tried using Contol Panel to call up VS Community and tried (1) repair and it did not correct then (2) modify and with default Win SDK 8.1 should load .. no resolve 

Realize there is a Win Software Development Kit 10 for Win 10 OS but added that as stand alone SDK and still no resolve .. not sure how to add standalone SDK to correct path for VS Community ..

When using modify via VS the option to add Win SDK 10 is not available ..

Planning on using gncc compiler for C work unless you can provide any ideas and again Thanks for all effort 

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 12:01 AM
  • Hi jog1418,

Please make that your VS has been installed successfully without any error.

>> When using modify via VS the option to add Win SDK 10 is not available

What does it mean by not available?  Do you mean the checkbox of Windows 10 SDK cannot be checked? It will be more convenient for us to solve this issue if you could share us a snapshot of it.

Mine looks below and it could be chosen:

Also, you could download windows 10 SDK here and install it separately:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

Another setting may cause the issue is the configuration of Target Platform and Platform Toolset, you might have a check in your VS: 

Right-click project name -> Properties -> General

my setting is like above

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 4:19 AM
  • Progress Thanks. Was able to upgrade VS Community 2015 screen to VS Community screen with upgrades as yours shows and then modified it including Win SDK 10 but still would not compile with same MSB8036 error. Then per your instructions went Configuration Properties Screen and found 

Target Platform: Windows

Target Platform Version 8.1 

Changed to Platform Version: 10

Now working and compiling correctly. Still issue every New Project I create (begin practicing) I have to change Platform Version in Configuration Properties to 10 .. is there a way to make this default as I do not use Win 8 and Target Platform 8.1 will not compile with above error message ..

Thanks for all your help and patience .. oh, do  know how to capture screen shot to file but having difficulties getting image from file to display in note, etc    will work on that

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:56 AM
  • Sorry but another issue as I practice with different projects my Norton Antivirus program is high-lighting all my .exe files as high risk and placing in "quaratine" .. we got the thing to work but now my question is VS Community 2015 a safe site to work on ???
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:42 AM
  • The trojan they are quarantining is called Heur.AdvMl.B and listed on Norton's Web site as trojan,virus .. do you know of others with this issue ??
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:50 AM
  • Hi jog1418,

The MSDN forum has itself policy, we cannot post several question in the same thread. So I would you suggest you re-post new thread about your issue that you encountered.

Since one thread for one issue, would you please open a new case for this new issue? In this way, our discussion here will not deviate too much from the original issue. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

If a reply above has solved your issue or doubts, please remember to mark it as answer. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 5:46 AM