none
DataSet Designer Support for SQL Server CE

Question

• I gather from an error message I'm getting and an 18 month old post on Stackoverflow that VS Express 2013's DataSet Designer doesn't support SQL Server CE (as the prior version of VS I was using did).  Can someone tell me what it takes to get around this?  Is there a newer version that does support CE, or do I need to convert from CE to some other small footprint SQL Server (if there is one), or what? 

I am running Windows 8.  Also, before installing VSE 2013, I tried to install VS Community but ran into some problem I'm not recalling at the moment.

Thanks.  Steve

Monday, February 15, 2016 8:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

>>"The DataSet Designer in this version of VS is not compatible with SQL Server Compact connections". 

Since the SSCE is not compatible with DataSet Designer. And it works fine for other respects.

One idea is that we could submit this feature request:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio

The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your idea there so the others can vote it.

If you submit this suggestion, you could post that link here which will benefit others who has the similar issue, I will vote it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Steve,

Thanks for your post.

>>I gather from an error message

Could you please tell me what's the error message you got?

As far as  I know, if you want to use the SQL Server CE in VS2013. You need to install the Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0.

Please refer to the following link to install it then try it again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17876

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 6:32 AM
  • Lake -

Thanks for the quick response.  I already have SSCE 4.0 SP1 x64 ENU as well as SSCE 3.5 SP2 x64 ENU installed.  To confirm that, I tried to install the 4.0 version from the link you provided and it said a later version is already installed.  Perhaps I need to uninstall and reinstall for some reason.

The error message is "The DataSet Designer in this version of VS is not compatible with SQL Server Compact connections".  I get this message when I right click on a table in Data Source and select "Edit DataSet with designer".  SSCE is working fine in all other respects.

The Stackoverflow link that confirms the limitation is http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20165230/sql-server-ce-and-visual-studio-2013.

Thanks. Steve

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Hi Steve,

>>"The DataSet Designer in this version of VS is not compatible with SQL Server Compact connections". 

Since the SSCE is not compatible with DataSet Designer. And it works fine for other respects.

One idea is that we could submit this feature request:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio

The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there. You can send your idea there so the others can vote it.

If you submit this suggestion, you could post that link here which will benefit others who has the similar issue, I will vote it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:35 AM
  • Lake -

Thanks again for the response.  I went to uservoice as you suggested and searched for "Visual Studio support for SQL Server CE".  I found an existing thread (http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/4714470-support-sql-server-compact-in-visual-studio-2013) that requests restoration of VS support for SSCE and added my voice to that.  The thread started in 2013, but still no apparent response from MS.

So, my question remains, what do I do now, until and unless MS acts on the request?  I need to change one of my SSCE tables and its related DataSet definition.  Do I need to convert from CE to some other database, or use an add-in that will do what I need (e.g. SQL Server Compact Toolbox from ErikEJ), or just what?  I'd like perspective not only on my immediate need, but also on what the longer term is likely to require.  If MS is going to walk away from CE, it would be better to bite the bullet now.

Thanks.  Steve

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:39 PM
  • Hi Steve,

>>The thread started in 2013, but still no apparent response from MS.

One idea is that you could open a new request to the Visual Studio Team.

In addition, since SSCE is not compatible with Dataset Designer. I suggest you could use other database to instead it. Eg. SQL Server and Access.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, February 18, 2016 2:25 AM
  • Thanks, Lake.  I'll consider opening a new request and will begin to investigate what my best option might be for replacing SQL CE.  So far, it looks like it might be SQLite for several reasons.

Steve

Sunday, February 28, 2016 1:20 PM