none
Any recommendations for excluding folders relating to Microsoft Teams using the redirections.xml file RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Citrix CVA 1909 and every since MS Teams was installed, I am seeing a significant growth in the VHDX files.

Has anyone come across this and can recommend any folder exclusions I should use without losing any important information.

Thanks.

Thursday, April 2, 2020 3:52 PM

All replies

• Here are some crowdsourced redirections for Teams:

<Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Current\Locales</Exclude>
    <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\current\resources\locales</Exclude>
    <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Packages\SquirrelTemp</Exclude>
    <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp</Exclude>
    <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft Teams\Logs</Exclude>
    <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache</Exclude>
    <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache</Exclude>
    <Exclude Copy="0">AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage</Exclude>

We only have Teams in QA right now, but I know of others using these same redirections with success. As always, test before moving to Prod.

Also, in case you weren't aware, there's a utility that can help you shrink your containers that a lot of us currently run: http://www.citrixirc.com/?p=1052

• Edited by NTP66 Monday, April 6, 2020 5:27 PM
    Monday, April 6, 2020 5:26 PM
  • Read through this.

Are you using the VDI\Session Host version ?  If not that may save you about 300mb per user.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Citrix/comments/fqr3kj/teams_profile_exclusions_vdi_msi_verse_exe/

Monday, April 6, 2020 10:16 PM
  • Thanks for all the responses.

NTP66 I am already using the compacting tool which is really brilliant. Managed to save just under 900GB on disk space consumption.

Just waiting for the update so I can schedule this.

I will look to add the exclusions as another way of tackling the excessive growth.

JG_7 my install of Teams is based on the Machine Wide version also

NTP66 I ended up having profile mounting issues following the changes.

I then removed the string Copy="0" from the lines and everything was working again.

Do you know the purpose of Copy="0"?

• Edited by Icebun Tuesday, April 7, 2020 8:49 AM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2020 6:53 AM
  • Thanks for all the responses.

NTP66 I am already using the compacting tool which is really brilliant. Managed to save just under 900GB on disk space consumption.

Just waiting for the update so I can schedule this.

I will look to add the exclusions as another way of tackling the excessive growth.

JG_7 my install of Teams is based on the Machine Wide version also

NTP66 I ended up having profile mounting issues following the changes.

I then removed the string Copy="0" from the lines and everything was working again.

Do you know the purpose of Copy="0"?

Copy 0 means nothing will be copied to/from those directories: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/manage-profile-content-cncpt. Are you sure you didn't have a formatting issue? I've never seen a redirections file where the Copy portion was omitted.

Also, redirections won't clean up old data if you're already up and running in your environment. You could give one of Aaron Parker's scripts a shot to prune data. I've used it in my environment before (via WEM), and it worked well.

Lastly, re: ShrinkFSL. The latest version can be run via Task Scheduler if that's what you were getting at. I run it via command line in PowerShell every night.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 10:54 AM
  • Here is a sample of my .xml file:

<Exclude>AppData\Local\SquirrelTemp</Exclude>
        <Exclude>AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Current\Locales</Exclude>
        <Exclude>AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\Packages\SquirrelTemp</Exclude>
        <Exclude>AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams\current\resources\locales</Exclude>
        <Exclude>AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Service Worker\CacheStorage</Exclude>
        <Exclude>AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Application Cache</Exclude>
        <Exclude>AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Cache</Exclude>
        <Exclude>AppData\Roaming\Microsoft Teams\Logs</Exclude>
        <Exclude>AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\media-stack</Exclude>

Must admit I have never used the Copy command and I can see it being correctly excluded.

As for ShrinkFSL, can you share the code you used to schedule this or a reference point I can refer to please?

Thanks.

• Edited by Icebun Tuesday, April 7, 2020 12:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 7, 2020 12:50 PM
  • I'm using the following command line with the latest version of the utility: ShrinkFSL.exe \\Server\Share,1024

This particular command only shrinks containers larger than 1GB. The command line references are all in the site I linked a few posts back.

Tuesday, April 7, 2020 12:58 PM
  • I'm using the following command line with the latest version of the utility: ShrinkFSL.exe \\Server\Share,1024

This particular command only shrinks containers larger than 1GB. The command line references are all in the site I linked a few posts back.

Thanks,

Really appreciate the response.

Thursday, April 9, 2020 6:34 AM