SuperPreview for EW2

Answers

All replies

• To talk to Microsoft, rather than to Users (which is what this forum is - user to user) try the Connect site: http://connect.microsoft.com/ 
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:45 PM
  • Just for the record, there is no SuperPreview for EW2. There is currently a standalone, limited version, launched separately from EW2, but the first version integrated into EW will be in EW3.

cheers,
    scott
    Monday, July 20, 2009 6:15 PM
  • Right, that is why I'm asking if the standalone version can be manipulated via an API ;-) Perhaps there's confusion from what I said, but I'm just taking the name from the MS labeled "Expression Web 2 SuperPreview for Internet Explorer."

- Dennis

Monday, July 20, 2009 6:36 PM
  • Perhaps they changed it in a later installation, because mine installed as "Microsoft Expression Web SuperPreview (March 2009 Preview)." No mention of EW2, nor of "for Internet Explorer." I haven't checked for an update since that March preview, nor has the program prompted that one is available.

In any event, no API was provided for the standalone version, nor do I expect one for the full EW3, since apparently even ordinary macro support is being dropped in that version. Frankly, I find that a little pathetic, but that's just MHO...

cheers,
    scott
    Monday, July 20, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Hi Scott,

I got the name from here: http://expression.microsoft.com/en-us/cc507118.aspx From what I remember, though, you're right about the name used during the installation. Seems like there's still some confusion on MS's part as to the exact naming of this thing.

I was disappointed, too, that the VBA environment was jettisoned from EW3.

- Dennis

Monday, July 20, 2009 8:20 PM
  • As I understand it the stand alone version of SuperPreview will only preview in versions of IE. The version shipped with EW V3 will work with Firefox if installed, and further down the line, with Safari and maybe other browsers, via 'the cloud'.

Ian
    MS MVP Expression

http://www.ew-resource.co.uk
    http://www.fp-resource.co.uk
    http://www.ew-resource.co.uk/v3  First Impressions of EW V3

Ian Haynes
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Right. I watched the screencast Alex(Alec?) Saltwell did from MIX and on his (pre-production) version of EW3 he had SP icons for FF and Safari, IIRC, and I think he stated that plans did call for rendering other browser views using MS-maintained servers in the cloud. It's been a while since I viewed it (during MIX), but it seems that I recall that's what he said is planned.

cheers,
    scott
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Scott's memory of Eric's MIX presentation is the same as mine. In fact, I believe Eric had a Mac Mini under the podium to show how it would work eventually in the cloud.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com and online instructor led Expression Classes
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:29 PM
  • Perhaps it would be wise to forget the existance of Superpreview.
    The one you can download for the moment is not able to run scripts.
    The same is through with the one built into EW3. Superpreview functions
    mearly as a picture recorder. Read the connect postes for more. Superpreview
    is a hanky panky. The Microsoft expression team said; probably superpreview
    will be upgraded within a year or so.
    Just now, new information is out on the marketplace, that Windows 7 ultimate
    or enterprise version will incorporate a virtual mode and virtual PC, so that you
    will be able to run earlier windows versions with the press of a single button
    - they said.
    Do you think it's worth offering any attention on this superpreview. Would you
    buy Expression Web 3 only for superpreview. They, Microsoft, used it as a sales draw.
    /senn

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:47 AM
  • "Just now, new information is out on the marketplace, that Windows 7 ultimate or enterprise version will incorporate a virtual mode and virtual PC, so that you will be able to run earlier windows versions with the press of a single button..."

Well, yes and no.

It's the Pro and Ultimate versions that will have XP virtualization, but it will only run on processors that support hardware virtualization (For AMD, that's virtually everything above the Athlon 64, but only the new Intel Core i7 processors offer virtualization support across their line. Foe other Intel processors, it's a ____ shoot). If you're interested, there's an app at Gibson Research that will tell you if your computer supports it...http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:25 PM
  • Many people don't use server side technology and have no need for more than "snapshots" in different browsers. They may also have many of those browsers installed so all they are looking for in SuperPreview is something that tells them what the display differences are. It isn't a complete substitute for testing in a variety of browser but is a quick option that fits certain needs. If there weren't a market for that sort of tool then not on would MS not spent the time/resources on SuperPreview but Adobe wouldn't have spend resources on BrowserLabs which is a similar service.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com and online instructor led Expression Classes
    • Proposed as answer by Cheryl D Wise Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:41 PM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:32 PM

• 1. "The one you can download for the moment is not able to run scripts"

SuperPreview executes any JavaScript associated with the onload event on the page. It does execute script.

2. "Superpreview functions mearly as a picture recorder"

You can use SuperPreview to browse the HTML elements on the page, clicking on the different HTML elements in the rendering. SuperPreview will even measure the element's distance from the top and left for you - and show you the difference between the two browsers. No picture viewers do this.

Justin
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Cheryl is pretty much dead-on in her assessment.

SuperPreview is not intended to replace the need for a browser in the web design process. You should still check a site in the browsers to make sure that all of the interactive elements render well.

Snapshot Panel shows you how your page looks in IE6-8 + FF 3. You can float it on a separate monitor, or dock it anywhere in Expression Web 3. It's a quick and easy way to see how your design is progressing. This is where SuperPreview technology really helps out.

Meanwhile - if you're hitting a few snags in your design process and you realize that your design isn't rendering properly in FF3, you can open SuperPreview to start doing some more investigation. You can drop some guides in, use the rulers, take some measurements, and see how each HTML element is placed by using the selection tools.

SuperPreview is really designed to fit as a tool to use throughout the web design process. That way, by the time you finish your design, you are pretty confident that it renders properly in most browsers.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:47 PM

• See a list here of the intel CPUs that support vertualization XP-mode.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-xp-mode-virtualization-intel,7709.html

intel(R) Processor Identification Utility - Windows* Version
    Download this utility (pidenu21.msi) here to run and see if your intel CPU support vertualization XP-mode
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=1881&DwnldID=7838

/senn

Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:25 PM
  • 1. "The one you can download for the moment is not able to run scripts"

SuperPreview executes any JavaScript associated with the onload event on the page. It does execute script.

2. "Superpreview functions mearly as a picture recorder"

You can use SuperPreview to browse the HTML elements on the page, clicking on the different HTML elements in the rendering. SuperPreview will even measure the element's distance from the top and left for you - and show you the difference between the two browsers. No picture viewers do this.

Justin

Very strange why when going to it testing a page in both its IE6 and its others, that have a menu using javascripts and a behavior of a javascript doesn't react the slightest. It just shows a menu dead as a dead duck. Whereas the page menu is working in EW2 Prewiev. Strange !.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:26 PM
  • "SuperPreview executes any JavaScript associated with the onload event on the page. It does execute script."

"Very strange why when going to it testing a page in both its IE6 and its others, that have a menu using javascripts and a behavior of a javascript doesn't react the slightest. It just shows a menu dead as a dead duck. Whereas the page menu is working in EW2 Prewiev. Strange !."

Because a menu reacting to your activities is not something that happens when the page is loaded.  SuperPreview is a static display.  What Justin said was that if the static display included elements generated by a script when you first display the page, you'd see them.

For example, I have javascript encrypted clickable email links on pages.  The email links do not show in the Design Pane, of course.  They do show in SuperPreview, just as they do when a browser loads the page.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 2:56 PM
  • Justin might have been just a tad more expressive. Although he did state correctly that SP executes javascript fired in the page onload event, it's not made clear that that is the last javascript executed.

In other words, once any DOM manipulation or other scripting affecting initial page layout is executed, the page then effectively becomes a snapshot, and it will not respond to dynamic events (onmouseover, onclick, onblur, etc.) fired after the page is loaded (except in terms of SP functionality, such as displaying element position and size when clicked). Therefore, rollovers, buttons, etc. will not function.

cheers,
    scott
    Plural's don't have apostrophe's. It seem's sometime's that any word's ending in "s" get a gratuitous apostrophe. Apostrophe's are used to indicate possessive's and elision's (contraction's or abbreviation's).
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:05 PM
  • I am locking this thread.  This discussion was begun in July. It was answered.

I have deleted posts marked as abusive, which included inappropriate language and name-calling and personal attacks.

Now it is devolving into bickering.

There is no place for this in the forums.

~Lori

Lori Dirks
    Expression Community Manager
    lori [dot] dirks [at] microsoft
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:33 PM
    Owner