none
Prevent Deletion of Files in Azure Storage File Share

Question

• Hello, I'd like to be able to prevent the accidental deletion of a File Share inside a Storage Account. I plan on archiving zip files of client integrations here and will not want these to be accidentally deleted. Currently the UI could be confusing.  When on the "Filee Share" blade, I could see one of my co-workers thinking that the "Delete Share" button applies to the highlighted row. Then it is only 2 quick clicks and the entire File Share is deleted, which will make worry at night in my bed haha. 

I have tried applying a Resource Lock onto the entire Storage Account, but this does not apply downwards into the File Share. I welcome any ideas or suggestions. Thanks!

-Jason

Monday, October 24, 2016 6:20 PM

Answers

• Jason,

you are correct - the inheritance takes precedence - it cannot be overridden.

Outside of resource locks you mentioned (not applicable in this scenario), I'm not aware of any way to override permissions granted on the storage account level.

hth
    Marcin

Monday, October 24, 2016 10:58 PM

All replies

• You would need to restrict their role to the Reader on the storage account level - obviously this prevents much more than accidental deletion

hth
    Marcin

Monday, October 24, 2016 6:34 PM
  • Thanks for the help Marcin. Unfortunately the Owner role is applied at the subscription level for our few employees, so I can not only apply the Reader role as Owner overrides. Id rather not remove owner at the subscription level, as then I would have to re-add roles for all other resources I'm guessing.

Is there any other way to prevent accidental deletion on file shares, or provide additional nagging menus to make sure users verify before deletion?

Thanks

Jason

Monday, October 24, 2016 6:47 PM
  • Jason,

you are correct - the inheritance takes precedence - it cannot be overridden.

Outside of resource locks you mentioned (not applicable in this scenario), I'm not aware of any way to override permissions granted on the storage account level.

hth
    Marcin

Monday, October 24, 2016 10:58 PM
  • Well thanks for confirming my suspicions. Appreciate the help
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 1:49 PM