none
Outlook 2010 Exchange 2011 - Read Signed Message Icon RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

we sign emails with S/Mime X.509. Since some days the "Read Signed Message" Icon in List View of sent items or Inbox Folder is shown as "Read encrypted Message" if we sent the message. If I open the Message I can see the correct Icon "Read Signed Message" on the top right of the Message. The X.509 certificate was sent correct. But recipients of the Message outside our LAN got also a mix between Read and Encrypted icons.

If I sent a signed message to my college in the same LAN the list view icon shows "Read encrypted Message" in the inbox folder and my sent items folder. A signed message received from a sender outside of our LAN has the correct "Read signed Message" icon in the list view of our inbox folder. But in every case, when we open the message we can see the correct "Read signed Message" icon top right. (Digital signature is trusted. Click here for details)

We are working in a Outlook 2010, SBS 2011, Exchange 2010, Windows 7 Clients environment and the issue is the same on every Client.

Is there a corrupt icon cache which I can rebuild?

Regards, Wilfried

• Edited by Wilfried 13 Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:10 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:21 PM

Answers

• Problem solved: Exchange (Outlook or Entourage) to send messages

Even if you only include a digital signature with an email message, Outlook and Entourage will send the message encrypted unless you select a specific setting telling the program to send signed messages in clear text.

One visual cue you can use to tell if your program is not properly set up is the Inbox. The icon for a message that is signed but not sent in clear text displays the encryption icon.

A message that is signed and sent in clear text displays the signature icon.

Regards, Wilfried

• Edited by Wilfried 13 Friday, August 16, 2013 9:57 AM
    • Marked as answer by Wilfried 13 Friday, August 16, 2013 9:58 AM
    Friday, August 16, 2013 9:57 AM