PhotoStory3 style image slideshow using WM9 Image Codec RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to Windows Media SDK and am working to build an image slideshow (from set of jpg/bmp images) along with audio narration just like PhotoStory3. I want to use the WM9 Image Codec to ensure good quality images and to keep file size small.

Can anyone in this forum point to sample code examples or other articles that can help me in this effort. Also, can this project be done using DirectShow Editing Services (but with Image codecs) or do I have to rely solely on Windows Media Format SDK for getting this done.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sam

Monday, September 10, 2007 4:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• I believe you have to use the WM Format SDK to do this. 

Some docs to get you started: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa392242.aspx

Here's the WMFSDK newsgroup if you have any other questions about this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community/newsgroups/WindowsMedia/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.sdk&lang=en&cr=US

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:04 PM
  • Hi Becky and other forum members,

Thanks for your reply. I have tries to develop a solution using Media Format SDK. However, I am stuck with video configuration issues regarding profile, stream and input media. I will greatly appreciate if you could help me with the following.

I made a test profile identical to one of PhotoStory's built-in profiles. This profile has 2 streams - audio (major type = WMMEDIATYPE_Audio and sub type = WMMEDIASUBTYPE_WMAudioV8) and video (major type = WMMEDIATYPE_Video and sub type = WMMEDIASUBTYPE_WMVP which is Video 9 Image codec instead of WMMEDIASUBTYPE_WVP2 which is Video 9.1 Image codec). I am using the earlier version of the image codec since the latest version is not supported on Windows 2000 and I need the codec to be supported on both Windows 2000 and XP.

So this is profile stream settings. But the MSDN documentation that you pointed out mentions Image stream with sub type as RGB. Now I am confused if I should reconfigure the profile streams to match what the documentation says or is this to be specified for the input. I thought that codec values are required to determine what output file should be written by IWMWriter and the settings mentioned in the documentation are meant for the uncompressed samples that will be later passed to the Writer. Is my assumption correct?

If I use this test profile, I get errors in SetInputProps(...) for the writer for video input after I change media type to Image and sub type to VideoImage. If I create a new profile, I get errors in adding the video stream (though audio stream adds fine) when I am using type as Video and setting buffer and bit rates. Please let me know what I am doing wrong. I am been working on this for a couple of weeks and really need some advice on this.

Thanks,
    Sam

Monday, September 17, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Now, unfortunately, you are over my head... Sad to say, I'm not too familiar with the particulars of PhotoStory-style WMFSDK usage :-/

You may have better luck in the WMFSDK newsgroup (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community/newsgroups/WindowsMedia/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsmedia.sdk&lang=en&cr=US). 

Monday, September 24, 2007 2:06 PM