Recurring Tasks - Workflow & Views RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am really struggling with the following requirement:

We need to set up a list of recurring tasks which occur monthly, daily and weekly. An email alert needs to be sent to the person responsible for completing the task at the begining of each month, day or week and when the start date of the task has been reached. An email alert also need to be sent to a manager if the task is not completed within a specific time frame.

I have attempted to use a calendar with a list of events and the built in recurrence. This has been extremely frustrating. After creating the list and setting up the recurrence - I noticed the difference between series and occurrences and the views that only display occurences. So now we have a situation where thousands of tasks have been created and we cannot group the tasks by end date or user. I also cannot apply my workflow rules. I was using the 'Start Date' in my workflow however recurring events only use one start date. I am unsure if the workflow will work and originally checked to apply manually and on creation, I need to apply workflow to thousands of tasks.

I would like to use workflow to automate the creation of tasks and I would prefer that a new task is only created at a specified time. Is anyone aware of a better solution? Is it possible to set up recurring tasks successfully?

Appreciate your assistance
    Tony

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I have found this blog can help you a little, Looping Timer workflow used to complete processing as a background task at a specific time each day. For more information, you can refer to:
    http://blog-sharepoint.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-configure-workflow-to-start-at.html

Best Regards
    David Hu

Friday, April 1, 2011 1:40 AM
  • Hi

Thanks a alot for the above suggestion. It was quite helpful and I have subsequently created the workflow below. Would you please look over the workflow and confirm that it has been set up correctly.

Workflow starts when an item is changed

Condition will check if custom field 'Recurrence created' is equals to 'yes'.
    ff 'Recurrence Created' is equal to 'yes' then workflow is stopped
    Else if 'Recurrence Created' is equals to No
    then 'Recurrence Created' is changed to 'yes'
    and a list item is created
    and an email is sent
    and 'Recurrence Created' is equal to 'No'

Not sure if this looping workflow is correct. I would really appreciate assistance.

Thanks
    Tony 

Friday, April 1, 2011 6:53 AM
  • Hi

I have altered the above workflow and just need to know if my rule is correct. Please find below my new workflow:

Step 1 - If Recurrence Created equals Yes
    Stop Workflow

Step 2 - Set Recurrence Created to equals Yes
    Add date and time
    Wait until start date is reached
    Create Item
    Send Email
    Set Recurrence Created to No

This seems to be correct. Please let me know.

Thanks
    Tony

Friday, April 1, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Hello Tony,

I would be really grateful if you could help me with your solution and best practice as I am trying to achieve the same outcome.

Regards,

Aalok

Thursday, December 19, 2013 10:11 AM
  • did you ever ge this solved?
    Wednesday, March 4, 2015 4:57 PM