What is Game Studio Express RRS feed

• Question

• What is to be included with game studio express

The Torque Engine?
    Libraries?
    An IDE?
    Documentation?

I want to be able to make games on this system, but I don't want to have(although the ability to if need would be good) to use outside resources such as external libraries or engines.

As a fresh, amatuer, student programmer, I am praying that XNA Express will be friendly to people WITHOUT industry knowledge.

And lastly, do I need to own Visual Studio?
    Thursday, August 17, 2006 5:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• It will not include The Torque Engine, it will come with libraries simular to MDX (managed DirectX). XNA Studios is an IDE and there will be documentation but the docs may not be that great at the launch of beta.

Managed DirectX makes DirectX easy to learn and use, you can have simple code running very fast with just a few lines of code.

And you will not need Visual Studios to run it.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 5:54 PM
  • Please check out the XNA Game Studio Express FAQ as it answers most of these questions and more! You can find it at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/xna/faq/

Thanks!

Thursday, August 17, 2006 6:20 PM
  • Thankyou both for your support

I had read the FAQ b4 I just skipped one important part...I feel stupid

• The XNA Framework, a set of managed code development libraries which will allow game developers to be more productive when creating games for Windows and the Xbox 360.
    • The XNA Framework Content Pipeline which is a set of tools that allow developers to more easily incorporate 3D content into their games. 
    • XNA Game Studio Express also contains a full set of documentation, how-to’s and starter-kits that demonstrate how best to utilize the content pipeline and XNA Framework.

Last question:

How simple will it be to integrate this with C#, do I just an exe and then open VS and start a XNA type project?

Thursday, August 17, 2006 6:25 PM
  • It seems you pretty much answered your own question:

• XNA Game Studio Express also contains a full set of documentation, how-to’s and starter-kits...
    Thursday, August 17, 2006 6:54 PM
  •  Kevin Jacobson wrote:
    Thankyou both for your support

How simple will it be to integrate this with C#, do I just an exe and then open VS and start a XNA type project?

Yep! Pretty much exactly like that!

Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:13 PM