none
Kinect v2 in Embedded Application RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to use the Kincect v2 sensor in an embedded application, where I would like the data from the Kinect to be directly processed by a DSP IC.  Is there a way to implement the Kinect v2 drivers in such an application without going through a computer (i.e. to program the USB protocol into the DSP interface)?
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 6:34 PM

Answers

• This isn't a super easy thing to do.  :) There is a lot of processing which happens on the PC in the v2 SDK, including the generation of depth, the generation of IR, and Skeletal tracking. 

Chris White _MSFT_

Thursday, October 2, 2014 6:22 AM

All replies

• You may want to look at the OpenKinect project. I don't think you'll get too many responses here. What you're asking for is to bypass the Kinect for windows drivers and Api and use the Raw data.

That's a topic for another group/forum.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 7:14 PM
  • Thank you for your response.  I am aware of the OpenKinect project, but I was hoping for a more proper implementation than reverse engineering the protocol.  Perhaps something sponsored by Microsoft for such an application as mine.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 10:26 PM
  • This isn't a super easy thing to do.  :) There is a lot of processing which happens on the PC in the v2 SDK, including the generation of depth, the generation of IR, and Skeletal tracking. 

Chris White _MSFT_

Thursday, October 2, 2014 6:22 AM
  • What if I just want to obtain the raw data streams (color and depth) without any of the subsequent processing?  Suppose I just want to take a single snapshot and process the color and depth data on my embedded application.  This should not be too taxing for a DSP, as long as I know the USB protocol.  Is this possible to obtain without reverse engineering?
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 7:59 PM
  • Depth is generated on the GPU not on the sensor itself.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, October 6, 2014 6:06 PM