Power View - mix series types on the same chart RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All, I'm a relative newcomer to Power View. I've been playing with charts and have been struggling to combine both line and bar on the same chart. It would appear this functionality is not available. Considering this is basic functionality :-) when it comes to charting, I'm hoping someone will correct me and provide me with instructions to achieve this....

Thank you for your help

John

Saturday, July 25, 2015 2:06 PM

Answers

• Yeah, you can't do that. The best you can achieve currently is to create a line chart and bar chart and a slicer that filters their values simultaneously. I would recommend that you post this as a suggestion to http://community.powerbi.com and also it is interesting to note that Microsoft has made their visualizations open source, so if you are really, really motivated...
    Saturday, July 25, 2015 8:11 PM
  • Hi John,

According to your description, you want to know if we can combine both line and bar on the same chart on a PowerView report, right?

As Seth said, we cannot achieve this requirement currently. What we can do is create two charts, and then drag a chart to another chart. We can set the chart Bring Forward or Send Backward. I have tested it on my local environment, it looks like below.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Wednesday, August 5, 2015 1:59 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 5:54 AM

All replies

• Yeah, you can't do that. The best you can achieve currently is to create a line chart and bar chart and a slicer that filters their values simultaneously. I would recommend that you post this as a suggestion to http://community.powerbi.com and also it is interesting to note that Microsoft has made their visualizations open source, so if you are really, really motivated...
    Saturday, July 25, 2015 8:11 PM
  • Hi John,

According to your description, you want to know if we can combine both line and bar on the same chart on a PowerView report, right?

As Seth said, we cannot achieve this requirement currently. What we can do is create two charts, and then drag a chart to another chart. We can set the chart Bring Forward or Send Backward. I have tested it on my local environment, it looks like below.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Wednesday, August 5, 2015 1:59 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2015 5:54 AM