none
Can’t get hyperlinks to survive a transformation to PDF in PowerPoint 2013. They do in PowerPoint 2010. RRS feed

• Question

• As explained in an earlier post Big crisis! What has happened to the ability to save as Web-pages in PowerPoint 2013? we have a solution that among other things relies on the object models in office to save documents as web-pages. These are shown in a document viewer with a built-in browser (IE) and allows users to browse documents (view only) and to click on hyperlinks to view other documents from the web archive. In this context PowerPoint is widely used by our users to present overviews and provide links to other documents.

As established earlier the ability to save as web-pages (ppSaveAsHTML) has been removed from PowerPoint 2013. As a work around we then changed  our solution to save presentations as PDF, which still can be shown in our browser. Since our development and debug environment uses Office 2010 the PDF solution was first tested there and everything worked fine including hyperlinks when the resulting PDF files was shown in the browser though Adobe reader.

The whole point in this exercise however, was to find a way round this (ppSaveAsHTML)  limitation in PowerPoint 2013. When testing this workaround in a PowerPoint 2013 environment (Office 32 bit/W8 64 bit) we found that PowerPoint 2013 removes the hyperlinks from the presentations that are published as PDF. This behavior in PowerPoint 2013 happens whether using SaveAs ppSaveAsPDF or  ExportAsFixedFormat ppFixedFormatTypePDF the hyperlinks just aren’t there in the resulting PDF file. When doing the same thing from PowerPoint 2010, the hyperlinks survives the transformation to PDF. The difference between the two versions can also easily be demonstrated by saving a presentation with hyperlinks as PDF from the User Interface of the two versions. With Word and Excel 2013 however, the hyperlinks survives the transformation to PDF. The PDF workaround for PowerPoint 2013 is useless if the hyperlinks don’t survive.

Trying to find a method where our solution still works with PowerPoint 2013 has turned out as dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t. Compared with the other Office programs PowerPoint sticks out like a sore thumb and represents a departure from the earlier version in more ways than one it would seem.

We have been searching for any setting or option to make PowerPoint 2013 save PDF with hyperlinks the same way as PowerPoint 2010 does, but haven’t found one.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice on this?

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Leidulf,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'll consult my colleague on your issue. You'll be informed if there's any update.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 8:19 AM
  • Hi Leidulf,

I tested this and I was not able to reproduce the problem.  The only thing I can suggest is to open up a support case with us so we can investigate.

Sharon M, Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, March 29, 2013 3:56 PM
  • Hi Sharon,

I’m sorry, I should have given a more precise description of the problem. Our users often uses hyperlinks with shapes. The shape is given a text and will act as a button to show another document through the hyperlink associated with the shape. In my PowerPoint 2013 the hyperlink is removed when saving as PDF if the shape also has a text.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Insert a shape (rectangle) and insert a hyperlink associated with the shape.
    2. Copy the shape to have two identical shapes both containing the hyperlink.
    3. Click the second shape and add the text ABC.

When saving as PDF with PowerPoint 2013

1. The first shape without text still has the hyperlink.
    2. For the second shape with text ABC, the hyperlink is REMOVED!  

When saving the same presentation as PDF with PowerPoint 2010, both shapes contain hyperlinks as expected.

I have no active add-ins in my PowerPoint 2013, but have no way of knowing if this strange behavior is generally reproducible on any PowerPoint 2013 or specific to my installation. If specific to my system then I guess I’ll have to open a support case as suggested.

Saturday, March 30, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Anyone?

Could anyone please repeat the test described in my “Steps to reproduce the problem” above. It would be very helpful to know if the described result for hyperlinks is a general feature/bug in PowerPoint 2013 or if this only appears on my installation.

Thank you.

Monday, April 8, 2013 1:42 PM
  • I know this was posted 2 years ago but I had this problem today and I found a work around.

Rather than just click in the blank custom action button and begin to type, insert an entirely separate text box and lay it over the blank action button. Group the two objects together and proceed as you did before. When you convert to PDF, you should have no problems.

Peter

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:57 PM