none
Can't mix legacy elements and content control elements RRS feed

• Question

• As a company, most of us have Word 2010, but a few (including managers) still have Word 2007. I tried creating a form using all content control elements (check boxes and text controls), but the check boxes don't work in Word 2007. The text controls do. I swapped out the check box content controls for legacy check boxes, enabled protection, and things appeared to be working normally. However, we noticed that as soon as a legacy check box was selected (didn't have to be checked, just selected), the content control text elements froze up. We could still toggle the check boxes, however. I had to revert back to all legacy fields so the form would work regardless of Word version. Can I assume the legacy tools and content control boxes don't play well together, or is there some setting I need to adjust to bring peace between the two? Thank you.

Scott Stocking

Friday, October 3, 2014 7:27 PM

Answers

• You shouldn't use content controls and formfields in the same document. They're not designed to work together and can produce strange behaviour. The behaviour you describe is one of the typical ones.

In any event, the only content control Word 2010 has that Word 2007 doesn't have is the checkbox content control. You can simulate those with a dropdown content control. Indeed, doing so gives you more flexibility than a simple checkbox as it allows you to have a null state as well, if you prefer, rather than assuming the default checked/unchecked state was the result of a deliberate decision.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by ScottSox Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:58 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 9:31 PM