Problems with an Azure document "Configuring a custom domain name for an Azure cloud service" RRS feed

• Question

• I hope someone from Microsoft reads this, otherwise I'm wasting my time.

This is the document I'm talking about:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cloud-services/cloud-services-custom-domain-name

I've noticed several problems with this document.

At the bottom of the page it says "Comments", so I thought I'd post my criticisms there, and they'd hopefully be noticed by Microsoft. But the authentication needed for posting a comment seems to be geared for social media - one can use Facebook or Twitter or even G+ for authentication, but my Microsoft authentication, which I'm using on this forum and for my Azure subscription, is rejected as "Invalid username or password".

Seems a bit strange that on a Microsoft Azure document they prefer Facebook, Twitter or Google authentication, but not Microsoft authentication.

So now I'll list my criticisms of that document here ...

1. The sample Azure domain name for a VM is dated, instead of contoso.cloudapp.net it should be something like contoso.northeurope.cloudapp.azure.com.

2. It says "Get going faster! Use the Azure guided walkthrough. It makes associating a custom domain name and securing communication (SSL) with Azure Cloud Services or Azure Websites a snap." If you click on that link you get to a page where it says, "Start guided walkthrough." If you click on that link you get to a page where it says, "This page doesn’t exist."

3. In the section "Add a CNAME record for your custom domain" in point 4 it implies that you can use '@' to create an alias for the root domain. My registrar says he can't do that, and this page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/app-service-web/web-sites-custom-domain-name says

Important

Do not create a CNAME record for your root domain (i.e. the "root record"). For more information, see Why can't a CNAME record be used at the root domain. To map a root domain to your Azure app, use an A record instead.

Thursday, April 6, 2017 6:04 PM

Answers

• 1- The document in reference here is in relation to an Azure Cloud Service. The FQDN for a Cloud Service has a domain name of cloudapp.net. Cloudapp.azure.com domain is used for instances that are deployed using the resource manager model.

2- We appreciate you pointing out the defect in our documentation. Will ensure that this is corrected at the earliest.

3- The two documents you referred to for the final point above can seem contradictory. As you may already have seen as per RFC1034 in section 3.6.2: it says that "if a CNAME RR is present at a node, no other data should be present; this ensures that the data for a canonical name and its aliases cannot be different.". This necessarily does not mean that you should not set a root record but it implies that there will be complications on settings a root record as a CNAME record and so is not recommended to do this. However, if you wish to do so you could as well and that is what "you can use '@' to create an alias for the root domain." is referring to here. You would then probably have to map the root domain to another canonical name which only increases the complexity.

For Azure WebApps however (which is in the resource manager model now) this has been recommended by Microsoft to not use root domains owing to the explanation given in the serverfault thread referred to there.

• Marked as answer by RennieP Friday, April 7, 2017 2:11 PM
    Friday, April 7, 2017 11:30 AM