none
XNA 4.0 Avatar in Windows Game controlled by Kinect RRS feed

• Question

• Hello people, is it possible to use the Avatars from Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar.dll in a Windows Game using XNA 4.0? In addition,  can it be controlled using the Kinect SDK?
    Friday, March 23, 2012 2:25 AM

Answers

• Since this is a Kinect for Windows forum, I would recommend you post your questions on the AppHub forums with regards to XNA and support on Windows. Refer to all documentation and licensing agreements when discussing "hacks"  

If you have your own models and rigging system for these objects in a Windows XNA based application. The Kinect skeletal joint data are a points in space which would require some translation of your applicaiton to apply this to any model. The translation requires the vectors that make up your bones to become applied matricies to your model verticies.

This is described here: http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/kinect/Kinecting-to-a-XNA-Skinned-Model

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:10 PM

All replies

• As of right now the answer for both questions is No. =(

While you can include avatar code in your windows project and compile the avatars will not render as they are intended for use only on the Xbox platform with Live access.

The Kinect SDK is a Windows platform only SDK so trying to use it on the Xbox also does not work. Developers have access to a special SDK and code base for the Kinect on Xbox.

Sorry for the bad news. I'm sitting with you trying to find a compromise, but none of them are quick or clean.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Yes it is possible , I tried this it is working.
    Monday, April 9, 2012 7:21 AM
  • He's talking about xbox avatars I believe gowri and dosler means besides maybe getting it to work in debug mode I dont think it will work on windows in a clean/straight manner or without some hacking/modification.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Please elaborate how it can be done, even if it involves hacking.  Is the hack contained within the application itself, so it can be successfully distributed?  Will Microsoft oppose the application if it is possible?  The Avatar library has animations (ie. clap/jump), but how can it be made to track the Kinect Skeleton?

Every Avatar page on MSDN says "Code related to avatars can be present in a Windows game, but all methods will return default values and nothing will render to the screen. This is by design.".  Why are they so against the use of XBOX Avatars on Windows?

Thanks,

aidesigner

• Edited by aidesigner Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 8:41 PM
  • Since this is a Kinect for Windows forum, I would recommend you post your questions on the AppHub forums with regards to XNA and support on Windows. Refer to all documentation and licensing agreements when discussing "hacks"  

If you have your own models and rigging system for these objects in a Windows XNA based application. The Kinect skeletal joint data are a points in space which would require some translation of your applicaiton to apply this to any model. The translation requires the vectors that make up your bones to become applied matricies to your model verticies.

This is described here: http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/kinect/Kinecting-to-a-XNA-Skinned-Model

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:10 PM
  • Prove it!
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:04 AM
  • This thread is outdated carlo the new sdks have xna avatar support.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:21 PM