runtime.resources.dll path too long problem RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just getting started with Expression, and started to work through the tutorials on the .toolbox site. In the very first lesson, you create a Sketchflow app. When I try to run it, I get the error

"Unable to copy file 'C:\Program Files (x86)]\Microsoft SDKs\Expression\Blend\Silverlight\v4.0\Prototyping\Libraries\zh-Hans\Microsoft.Expression.Prototyping.Runtime.resources.dll" to "..\Bin\Debug....

That's not my project file, obviously, and I've been developing in Windows too long to be happy about moving a dll, particularly one that's in the Program Files directory. Anybody know what stupid thing I've done here? I didn't get a directory option when I installed Expression or the SDK, at least not that I can recall.  I've looked at the Options dialog, and can't find anything that seems to point to default folders anywhere...

PS -- Who is Hans? <g>

Rebecca M. Riordan
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 9:23 PM

Answers

• zh-Hans is the language code for Simplified Chinese :)

That path is the standard install location, what is the path of your project? Windows has a limit on a path + filename, if your project file is in a long path, ..\Bin\Debug might be expanded to something too long, once you include the zh-Hans\Microsoft.Expression.Prototyping.Runtime.resources.dll

Friday, September 24, 2010 1:37 PM

All replies

• zh-Hans is the language code for Simplified Chinese :)

That path is the standard install location, what is the path of your project? Windows has a limit on a path + filename, if your project file is in a long path, ..\Bin\Debug might be expanded to something too long, once you include the zh-Hans\Microsoft.Expression.Prototyping.Runtime.resources.dll

Friday, September 24, 2010 1:37 PM
  • Ah, thank you. From the error message, I didn't realize that the project folder was being used there. (Should have, of course that's where \bin\debug is!) Once I moved that directly to c:\ it compiled and ran just fine.

Rebecca M. Riordan
    Friday, September 24, 2010 1:53 PM
  • Hey,

I am getting the same error but moving the Project folder to C: did not help me! :( any more suggestions ??

thank you,

Roshini

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 5:53 PM
  • Is it the exact same error message?
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 6:15 PM