none
Service Pack 2 for .NET Framework 2.0 & 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I have .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 and .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 on my computer.  Do I need both?  I'd like to delete the 2.0 version as it takes up quite a bit of space.  Be gentle with your answer as I know next to nothing about programs.  thanks.
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:40 AM

Answers

• The answer is NO.

I will admit the numbering system for .NET Frameworks is less than intuitive, but the fact is that .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 is ONE full framework. 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions of 2.0, not independent frameworks, so you cannot remove anything associated with 2.0 and still have 3.0 or 3.5.

The service packs for 2.0 and 3.0 are different, and address different issues. Both are needed by the applications that require .NET support on your computer.

You don't mention what Windows version you are using, but I suspect XP because .NET Framework 2.0/3.0 is installed as an integral part of Vista and Win 7. In general, trying to remove frameworks unless you are SURE that none of the programs you use need them, is asking for trouble (in my opinion).

Regardless, if your goal in asking is to recover disc space, I suggest you ask about safe ways to identify and remove unneeded files from your system drive in the appropriate forums here:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

Saturday, January 22, 2011 3:28 PM