none
Building UWP Store app results in APPX1609 (Debug framework reference) RRS feed

• Question

• We've spent the past year developing our first UWP application for the Microsoft Store, and we're finally attempting to create a Store build from within Visual Studio (via Store > Create App Packages). Our app has been entirely developed in Visual Studio 2017, so there is no legacy code or updated projects with which to maintain. We're targeting the Fall Creators Update as our minimum SDK, so we are as forward-looking as we can be.

The Store build is failing with an error APPX1609: "The package contains a Debug framework reference 'Name = Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug, MinVersion = 14.0.25830.2, Publisher = 'CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US''. Ensure all framework references in the package are valid frameworks hosted by the Store."

Sure enough, the AppxManifest file in the Release folder of the x86 platform has generated the following dependency:

<PackageDependency Name="Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug" MinVersion="14.0.25830.2" Publisher="CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US" />

Placing our build Output into Detailed mode shows that our targeted configuration is somehow being set to Debug:

Reading SDK manifest file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Kits\10\ExtensionSDKs\Microsoft.VCLibs\14.0\SDKManifest.xml".
    Targeted configuration and architecture "Debug|x86"
    Could not find "FrameworkIdentity" attribute "FrameworkIdentity-Debug-x86" in the SDK manifest. 
    Found "FrameworkIdentity" attribute "Name = Microsoft.VCLibs.140.00.Debug, MinVersion = 14.0.25830.2, Publisher = 'CN=Microsoft Corporation, O=Microsoft Corporation, L=Redmond, S=Washington, C=US'" in the SDK manifest.
    Found "APPX" location attribute "AppX-Debug-x86=.\AppX\Debug\x86\Microsoft.VCLibs.x86.Debug.14.00.appx" in the SDK manifest.
    Found "APPX" location attribute "AppX-Debug-x64=.\AppX\Debug\x64\Microsoft.VCLibs.x64.Debug.14.00.appx" in the SDK manifest.
    Found "APPX" location attribute "AppX-Debug-ARM=.\AppX\Debug\ARM\Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM.Debug.14.00.appx" in the SDK manifest.
    Found "APPX" location attribute "AppX-Debug-ARM64=.\AppX\Debug\ARM64\Microsoft.VCLibs.ARM64.Debug.14.00.appx" in the SDK manifest.

To troubleshoot, I have verified in the Configuration Manager that our Active Solution Configuration is Release, including all of our subproject contexts. I can double-check this by going to the Configuration Properties under the property page of our main project: all projects are marked as Release across all platforms (x86, x64, and ARM). There is nothing expressly Debug about our configuration that I can find anywhere.

The only thing about our setup which may be unusual is that we have a single C++-based WinRT library for Microsoft ANGLE rendering. I can't find any documentation on what production settings for such libraries should be, so it is possible that it may be causing some underlying debug flag to be set. For the moment, I have Linker > Debugging > Generate Debug Info expressly set to NO.

Otherwise, I am at a loss to explain how the Store build process is finding a Debug configuration when building, and would appreciate any assistance in moving forward. Thanks in advance for the help!

Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:06 PM

All replies

• SilverAngleDev, Were you able to find the solution for this error. I am getting the smae error.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 11:39 PM