Removal Of Opcache Feature / Zend Opcache Failure RRS feed

• Question

• User-2048372337 posted

We are not currently using Wincache, but thought I would mention this. For some configurations of IIS, Zend Opcache is unusable (it is for us) due to a memory addressing / ASLR issue on Windows:

Event ID 487 from source Zend Opcache
    Unable to reattach to base address
    Attempt to access invalid address.

https://github.com/zendtech/ZendOptimizerPlus/issues/167

We have not been able to use Zend Opcache for some time now and probably won't until either PHP is stable and fully supported in 64 bit or someone solves this problem in 32 bit (I'm paraphrasing notes from the Github issue.) 

I think it would be premature for MS to remove Opcache from Wincache until that issue is resolved.

Friday, September 12, 2014 3:20 PM

All replies

• User409000176 posted

Just to clarify: The feature has been marked as "deprecated", but has not yet been removed.  This is an administrative procedure that allows us to remove the feature at the time of our choosing.

Yes, since Zend Opcache seems to need more bake time on Windows, we haven't removed the Opcache portion of Wincache yet.  The operative word is 'yet'.

When Zend Opcache is demonstrably stable, we'll remove the Opcache portion of Wincache.

If you haven't already, please file bugs on Zend Opcache in bugs.php.net.  That's the best way to get traction on getting things fixed.

Thx!

--E.

Friday, September 12, 2014 4:28 PM
  • User-2048372337 posted

I realized that the feature was just deprecated, but was not sure you were aware of the major issue(s) that ZO still had on Windows. I have not filed a bug on bugs.php.net due to the responses that I received on Github, it appears to me that on 32 bit Windows this is not fixable, due to the security implemented by ASLR. I might at some point, but I've actually lost interest in it - mainly because we saw almost zero performance degrade when we turned Zend Opcache off. :)

Friday, September 12, 2014 4:39 PM