Customizing WCF Services RRS feed

• Question

• I need to make some customizations to my IIS hosted WCF services. We host a dozen or so endpoints in a particular service. I completely understand that "simplified configuration", default endpoints, etc. are the "new deal". Well into the project, we've discovered that most of our services will need to customize the endpoints, behaviors, etc. So my question is how do I go back and customize these 12 services? Surely I don't need to go back and manually add all the services, etc into the System.ServiceModel section of the web.config right? There must be a way to configure Visual Studio 2013 / .Net 4.5 to generate the services for me automatically in the web.config like < .Net 3x did right? Or maybe I could write some code to handle the customization in the service startup event(s). What are my options?

Thanks!

Saturday, March 15, 2014 4:29 AM

Answers

• Hello,

The Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) Service Configuration Editor (SvcConfigEditor.exe) allows administrators and developers to create and modify configuration settings for WCF services using a graphical user interface. With this tool, you can manage settings for WCF bindings, behaviors, services, and diagnostics without having to directly edit XML configuration files. So for your question, it will better to use the SvcConfigEditor.exe to create custom services.

Configuration Editor Tool (SvcConfigEditor.exe):
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms732009(v=vs.110).aspx .

Thanks.

Monday, March 17, 2014 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) Service Configuration Editor (SvcConfigEditor.exe) allows administrators and developers to create and modify configuration settings for WCF services using a graphical user interface. With this tool, you can manage settings for WCF bindings, behaviors, services, and diagnostics without having to directly edit XML configuration files. So for your question, it will better to use the SvcConfigEditor.exe to create custom services.

Configuration Editor Tool (SvcConfigEditor.exe):
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms732009(v=vs.110).aspx .

Thanks.

Monday, March 17, 2014 6:52 AM
  • Thank you Floweawer, but I guess what I'm actualy looking for is a way to get VS2013 to publish my service in the web.config instead of relying on machine.config. Like it used to work before in VS2008.

Thanks.

Monday, March 24, 2014 5:30 PM