Getting disconnected from xmpp after logging in to Windows Live Messenger RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm getting a couple of different errors.

1. If a logging in to wlm or hotmail web messenger with an "Appear offline" status I get disconnected from my client, sending an unavailable presence (I think you're already aware of this one).

2. For a couple of days I've been getting a re-directing stream error when I log in to wlm (with any status) as well.

<stream:error xmlns:stream="http://etherx.jabber.org/streams">
    <see-other-host xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams">
    sn1.gateway.messenger.live.com
    </see-other-host>
    <text xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams">re-directing</text>
    </stream:error>

3. Also, for another account, today I started getting this when I log in to wlm,

<stream:error xmlns:stream="http://etherx.jabber.org/streams">
    <conflict xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams" />
    <text xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams">
    too many endpoints logged in
    </text>
    </stream:error>

I'd like to know if these are expected behaviors. Let me know if anything is not clear.

Thanks,

Alvaro

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:03 PM

Answers

• If the server you've connected to is being shut down for some reason (for an upgrade, for example), we want to minimize interruptions in service where possible. Rather than close the socket, the client is notified of a transfer to another server.

I can't say for sure that this is what you are seeing in this example. It may be connected to the endpoint issue, and I'm investigating that possibility. But in general, you should probably be prepared to handle see-other-host at any time.

Thanks,

Bill

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:54 PM

All replies

• I believe the "appear offline" issue is already being investigated.  I am checking with the team regarding the other issues.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Hi Alvaro,

Some of the errors you mention are being investigated.

1. We are aware of this and a fix will be included in our next release.

2. The see-other-host stream error is expected, and your client must honor it. Please see this thread for details: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/messengerconnect/thread/7eaf267f-bcc4-48c4-a3a3-e58455a7378a

3. We are aware of this issue and are investigating it.

Thanks,

Bill

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi Bill,

I'm glad you're working on 1. and 3.

The problem 2. isn't the see-other-host though, we're handling that fine when connecting. The thing is, after we're connected, and we successfully log in,  we can send messages, fetch vcards, everything. But, similar to 3., if we log into that same account on wlm we get the that re-directing stream error. On some accounts we get the "too many endpoints logged in", on others we get this "re-directing". This is a more complete xml:

<iq from="ae0d49e9c11bedd8@messenger.live.com" id="xjzhO-62" to="1d16ba032febc2ac@messenger.live.com/{813f224c-123a-45e8-a085-fbf7b93b38f7}" type="error"><vCard xmlns="vcard-temp" /><error type="wait" code="500"><internal-server-error xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas" /><text xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas">error in fetching the vcard</text></error></iq>
    <iq from="e510fb8d7c03a1af@messenger.live.com" id="xjzhO-63" to="1d16ba032febc2ac@messenger.live.com/{813f224c-123a-45e8-a085-fbf7b93b38f7}" type="error"><vCard xmlns="vcard-temp" /><error type="wait" code="500"><internal-server-error xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas" /><text xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas">error in fetching the vcard</text></error></iq>
    <iq from="60040be340dd32b0@messenger.live.com" id="xjzhO-64" to="1d16ba032febc2ac@messenger.live.com/{813f224c-123a-45e8-a085-fbf7b93b38f7}" type="error"><vCard xmlns="vcard-temp" /><error type="wait" code="500"><internal-server-error xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas" /><text xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-stanzas">error in fetching the vcard</text></error></iq>
    <stream:error xmlns:stream="http://etherx.jabber.org/streams"><see-other-host xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams">sn1.gateway.messenger.live.com</see-other-host><text xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-streams">re-directing</text></stream:error>

See, we were fetching some vcards, everything was working fine, but right when we logged in to wlm we got the re-directing error.

We're only supposed to receive see-other-host when connecting right? Not in the middle of a chat session.

Thanks for you help.

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:51 PM
  • If the server you've connected to is being shut down for some reason (for an upgrade, for example), we want to minimize interruptions in service where possible. Rather than close the socket, the client is notified of a transfer to another server.

I can't say for sure that this is what you are seeing in this example. It may be connected to the endpoint issue, and I'm investigating that possibility. But in general, you should probably be prepared to handle see-other-host at any time.

Thanks,

Bill

Friday, July 13, 2012 5:54 PM