none
Cannot deploy metadata. Reason: An error occurred while connecting to the server.

Question

• Using Visual Studio 2017, I've created a Tabular Project that seems to work great locally and gives me what I'm after when I Analyze in Excel. I'm now trying to deploy this to Azure Analysis Services and get the following error:

Cannot deploy metadata. Reason: An error occurred while connecting to the server.

I've double checked that under project properties my deployment server is set correctly: asazure://westus.asazure.windows.net/{name}

The error message isn't super helpful, please advise.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have also encountered the same issue but after installing SSDT 17.0 in my local machine, my model got deployed successfully in Azure AS.

Best Regards,

Sudhanshu Padhan

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:30 PM
  • I resolved this issue by ensuring I installed the latest SSDT for Visual Studio. 

Also make sure to add an Azure AD account rather than a windows live account like hotmail to the analysis services admin. 

In Visual Studio solution, when right click to deploy, set the analysis services server name in Server properties. Click enter and you should get prompted with a pop up to login with the Azure AD account with admin rights.

I sometimes didn't get the pop up so I restarted the computer. A lot of blogs/articles didn't mention or show the login pop up step. These were my steps and experience.

Thanks, Roy Kim

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:52 PM

All replies

• I have the same issue

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'M engine integration is not enabled.

Technical Details:

RootActivityId: e5f13058-e427-4a08-9ea7-51003bcfb3f6

I am using the latest version of SSDT.

Friday, April 21, 2017 1:56 PM
  • I have same issue. Is this a security issue with respect to AS admin?

Thanks, Roy Kim

Monday, May 15, 2017 2:17 AM
  • Hi,

I am also encountered with the same problem. My problem has been resolved,  once I have added my account details into AS Active Directory.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-create-server

• Azure Active Directory: Your subscription must be associated with an Azure Active Directory tenant. And, you need to be signed in to Azure with an account in that Azure Active Directory. Microsoft accounts are not supported. To learn more, see User authentication.

Regards,

Sabapathy K.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:14 AM
  • Hi,

I am also encountered with the same problem. My problem has been resolved,  once I have added my account details into AS Active Directory.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-create-server

• Azure Active Directory: Your subscription must be associated with an Azure Active Directory tenant. And, you need to be signed in to Azure with an account in that Azure Active Directory. Microsoft accounts are not supported. To learn more, see User authentication.

Regards,

Sabapathy K.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:14 AM
  • Hi,

I have also encountered the same issue but after installing SSDT 17.0 in my local machine, my model got deployed successfully in Azure AS.

Best Regards,

Sudhanshu Padhan

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:30 PM
  • I resolved this issue by ensuring I installed the latest SSDT for Visual Studio. 

Also make sure to add an Azure AD account rather than a windows live account like hotmail to the analysis services admin. 

In Visual Studio solution, when right click to deploy, set the analysis services server name in Server properties. Click enter and you should get prompted with a pop up to login with the Azure AD account with admin rights.

I sometimes didn't get the pop up so I restarted the computer. A lot of blogs/articles didn't mention or show the login pop up step. These were my steps and experience.

Thanks, Roy Kim

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:52 PM

Thanks, Roy Kim

yes, the credentials get cached so the popup doesn't always appear... Chris Webb had a post w/ instructions for clearing cached credentials for SSMS and I believe the SSDT is similar

Data Enthusiast | @SQLbyoBI | www.opifexsolutions.com

Friday, May 19, 2017 4:45 PM