Deployment issue with Azure Stack Development Kit RRS feed

• Question

• Hello together,

I tried to deploy the Azure Stack Development Kit (20170627.1) but the installation breaks down with a "Computernames" value which is null. It look likes the call came without the parameter.

STARTING: Task Cloud\Fabric\TraceCollector - UpdateHostComponent
    VERBOSE: Interface: Path to module: C:\CloudDeployment\Classes\TraceCollector\TraceCollector.psm1
    - 8/9/2017 5:00:47 PM
    VERBOSE: Interface: Running interface UpdateHostComponent
    (Classes\TraceCollector\TraceCollector.psm1, TraceCollector:UpdateHostComponent) - 8/9/2017
    5:00:47 PM
    VERBOSE: [TraceCollector:UpdateHostComponent] Starting TraceCollector Configuration on machine. -
    8/9/2017 5:00:50 PM
    VERBOSE: [TraceCollector:UpdateHostComponent] Default execution context is null, get machine name
    from step execution context. - 8/9/2017 5:00:50 PM
    VERBOSE: [TraceCollector:UpdateHostComponent] Received ExecutionContext with role name Storage and
     node(s): AS01DC01 - 8/9/2017 5:00:50 PM
    VERBOSE: [TraceCollector:UpdateHostComponent] To Setup TraceCollector on Machine :  with roleType
    PhysicalNode - 8/9/2017 5:00:50 PM
    VERBOSE: [TraceCollector:UpdateHostComponent] Set-TraceCollector started - 8/9/2017 5:00:50 PM
    VERBOSE: [TraceCollector:UpdateHostComponent] Will execute script block on machines - 8/9/2017
    5:00:51 PM
    Invoke-EceAction : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'ComputerNames' because it is null. -
    8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    At line:5 char:2
    +  Invoke-EceAction -RolePath Cloud -ActionType Deployment -Start Physi ...
    +  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Invoke-EceAction], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Set-TraceCollector,C
       loudEngine.Cmdlets.InvokeCmdlet

WARNING: Task: Invocation of interface 'UpdateHostComponent' of role 'Cloud\Fabric\TraceCollector'
     failed:

Type 'UpdateHostComponent' of Role 'TraceCollector' raised an exception:

Cannot bind argument to parameter 'ComputerNames' because it is null.
     - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    Invoke-EceAction : Task: Invocation of interface 'UpdateHostComponent' of role
    'Cloud\Fabric\TraceCollector' failed:
    Type 'UpdateHostComponent' of Role 'TraceCollector' raised an exception:
    Cannot bind argument to parameter 'ComputerNames' because it is null.
     - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Invoke-EceAction], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unspecified error,CloudEngine.Cmdlets.InvokeCmdlet

VERBOSE: Step: Status of step 'PhysicalMachineAndInitialConfiguration.22 - (DIAGNOSTICS) Configure
     Trace Collector on host.' is 'Error'. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    VERBOSE: Checking if any of the in progress steps are complete. The following steps are currently
    in progress: 'PhysicalMachineAndInitialConfiguration.22'. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    VERBOSE: Action: Action plan 'Deployment-Phase0-DeployBareMetalAndBGPAndNAT' failed. Finish
    running all steps that are currently in progress before exiting. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    VERBOSE: Draining all steps that are still in progress. The following steps are still in progress
    or just completed: 'PhysicalMachineAndInitialConfiguration.22'. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    VERBOSE: Action: Action plan 'Deployment-Phase0-DeployBareMetalAndBGPAndNAT' failed. - 8/9/2017
    Invoke-EceAction : Action: Invocation of step PhysicalMachineAndInitialConfiguration.22 failed.
    Stopping invocation of action plan. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM

VERBOSE: Action: Status of 'Deployment-Phase0-DeployBareMetalAndBGPAndNAT' is 'Error'. - 8/9/2017
    COMPLETE: Task Cloud - Deployment-Phase0-DeployBareMetalAndBGPAndNAT
    VERBOSE: Task: Status of action 'Deployment-Phase0-DeployBareMetalAndBGPAndNAT' of role 'Cloud' is
     'Error'. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    VERBOSE: Step: Status of step 'PhysicalMachineAndInitialConfiguration - Phase 0 - Configure
    physical machine and external networking' is 'Error'. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    VERBOSE: Checking if any of the in progress steps are complete. The following steps are currently
    in progress: 'PhysicalMachineAndInitialConfiguration'. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    VERBOSE: Action: Action plan 'Deployment' failed. Finish running all steps that are currently in
    progress before exiting. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    VERBOSE: Draining all steps that are still in progress. The following steps are still in progress
    or just completed: 'PhysicalMachineAndInitialConfiguration'. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    VERBOSE: Action: Action plan 'Deployment' failed. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM
    Invoke-EceAction : Action: Invocation of step PhysicalMachineAndInitialConfiguration failed.
    Stopping invocation of action plan. - 8/9/2017 5:00:51 PM

Any ideas?

Many thanks and regards

Christian

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:51 PM

Answers

• Hello Gary,

yes, I think configuration step 22 fails.
    I changed the computername only with the installer.
    The environment variable gives me the right name back.

With the 4th try I found out what was the problem.

If you change the name with the installer, the installation breaks down on the step PhysicalMachineAndInitialConfiguration.22.

Thanks and regards

Christian

• Marked as answer by ChristianGA Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:49 PM
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:49 PM

All replies

• Hello Christain,

Have you successfully booted into CloudBuilder.vhdx?

If so, open powerShell and type:

$env:COMPUTERNAME

That’d be the computername to use.

Note: If you want to rename your host, just make sure you don’t use ‘AzureStack’ as the hostname and reboot after renaming you server and before starting the ASDK deployment.  

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you continue experience any issues with ASDK release, feel free to contact us.

PowerShell giving you the Blues? Try my Azure Stack PowerShell Helper scripts

ASDK: Install/Import Azure Stack Modules 1.2.10 & AzureStack-Tools

ASDK: Config PowerShell & set AdminStackAdmin/User ARM Endpoints

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 10:40 PM
  • Hello Gary,

yes, I think configuration step 22 fails.
    I changed the computername only with the installer.
    The environment variable gives me the right name back.

With the 4th try I found out what was the problem.

If you change the name with the installer, the installation breaks down on the step PhysicalMachineAndInitialConfiguration.22.

Thanks and regards

Christian

• Marked as answer by ChristianGA Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:49 PM
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:49 PM
  • Hi Christian,

I am facing the same issue, could you please let me know how the issue was fixed.

Monday, August 21, 2017 6:35 AM