none
legacy ATL com component compatibility with Vista RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have a conferencing system developed in Visual C++ 6.0 that includes client and server components.  The conference system is analogous to Webex conferencing system.

We are having issues trying to make our client component compatible with Windows Vista (UAC enabled).  The issue occurs when we try to perform screen sharing (desktop, another application) from the client to another participant on the other end.  The application sharing works consistently ONLY when the Internet Explorer window is behind the application that is being shared.  When the Internet Explorer window is minimized, all application sharing information is stopped...  We used the SUAnalyzer to try to determine whats going on in the background, we saw a few *hooking* errors.  My understanding is that the instance of the component is in low IL and it can't hook to another application other than IE which originally started it.

The activex depends on a few other DLL's which are legacy using an ATL COM componenent develped in Visual C++ 2005.  We tried to include a manifest file for all of the DLL's and digitally signed it... and it still didn't work.  We also tried elevating IE, but no luck.

Do you guys have an advise on how to approach or resolve this type of issue? 

I can provide a diagram how each of the dll's relate to each other. Any help is appreciated.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:44 PM

Answers

• So your main problem is that it doesn't run if IE isn't in the background?

I have no clue on that one, but the hooking problems don't suprise me. What are the exact errors you are detecting?

I would suspect that you'll need to design such that you are running an admin executable on that person box and not using IE7 activex - But of course, I don't know much about your actual design at this point.

Saturday, September 29, 2007 7:54 PM