none
Having issues where /span> tags keep appearing in my electronic newsletter RRS feed

• Question

• I'm still new to working on Microsoft Expressions Web 4, which my company uses to deliver an e-newsletter through Constant Contact. We used FrontPage 2003 in the past, and made this transition when our new computers couldn't support FrontPage anymore.

Lately I've been seeing that this code keeps appearing in the design mode of my newsletter, at random times: "span/>" and every time it appears it seems to change the style of my text color and I have to go into the code to insert an "<" before the "span/>". I also have been having problems with letters appearing doubled in some places on my newsletter, and  when I place images next to an article, the article takes the image's hyperlink, and doesn't keep in the link I had assigned to it.

Also I've been having problems with our character limit being over the 150,000 max on Constant Contact and wondered if it was a coding thing through Microsoft Expressions...I know the code should be cleaner than in FrontPage so maybe it's just that we have too much content in our newsletters.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can fix these issues or any ideas as to why it's happening, that would be super appreciated! Thanks!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:19 PM

All replies

• If you post a link to one of your pages, then someone will be able to take a look at it and tell you what needs to be done.

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 4:21 PM
  • "Also I've been having problems with our character limit being over the 150,000 max on Constant Contact and wondered if it was a coding thing through Microsoft Expressions..."

The answer to that can be seen by looking at the Code View.  Do you see anything excessive?  (Nested spans, empty elements, spacing done by dozens of &nbsp;, other?)  If you do, that's not EW, but is related to how you are using it.

Expression Web will put the code you tell it to in your page.  If you are working entirely in Design View, and using the style toolbar, it's possible to make quite a mess of it - nested spans, not selecting the entire element before making a style change from the tool bar, etc.   Work in Split View and make sure you are applying the markup and styles correctly, as you go.

If you have been working "cleanly", and all the elements and styles are only what is needed to make your newsletter look like you want it to ... then you need to either reduce your words or eliminate some of the styling if you are exceeding your limits.

If you publish one of your newsletters on the web, and give us a link to it, we can tell you what is happening, rather than guess.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Here is an example of what the newsletter looked like earlier, before I was able to fix it. When this happens I have to go in and add another "<" before the code that appears in the text. I'm not sure why this happens, and there's no real rhyme or reason as to when it happens or why, at least that I can tell. I'm not super knowledgeable in HTML so I don't really know what to look for when this happens. I tried to take a screenshot but it wouldn't let me attach it, but here's what it looked like today, before I fixed the errors. Underneath the title of the article, it had changed the size of the text and the color....next time it happens i'll try and grab the code and paste it in this forum.

"US Trustee Blasts PacSun Bid To Seal $2M Bonus Plan Info/span>
    The federal bankruptcy watchdog took issue Friday with PPacific Sunwear of California Inc.'s bid to file major details of its nearly $2 million executive bonus plan under seal, arguing the publicly traded company's information is neither confidential nor otherwise protected by Chapter 11 rules. law360.com/span>

Gap Inc April Comp's down 7%/span>
       Gap Global comp's down 4%
       Banana Republic comp's down 7%
       Old Navy comp's down 10%

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:46 PM
  • Unfortunately I can't post the link to our website on here, but if you go to "www.d-ddaily.com" and click on the Archives tab at the top - go to e-newsletter - and then to today's date you can see our newsletter from there.

We do have a lot of line breaks and tables in our coding so I'm sure that adds quite a few characters, but if you would be able to give me other suggestions as to how we can shorten things up a bit, code wise, and not lose the feel or nature of our newsletter that would be great! I'm not knowledgeable in code at all, and know very very basic elements of it, from what I've learned from our web developer.

Thanks!

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 7:54 PM
  • Frankly, that page is VERY LONG. (Do people really read all of that in an email?  Including all those ads?)

I can say that tables add a lot more markup than other structures, such as paragraphs, but I can't say if that would make enough difference.

As for breaking spans, I've never seen EW do that on it's own.  Are you pasting things in without really knowing where they are going?  (Again, work in Split View so you can see what you are doing.)

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - ASP.NET applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:06 PM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2016 10:05 PM
  • Heh -- if all those ads are paid ads, who cares if anyone is reading everything!

ClarkNK AKA HomePage Doctor
    Database Tutorials Using ASP.NET Controls

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 11:45 AM