SQL Server 2012 and Win 8: No server found RRS feed

• Question

• Just installed Win 8 preview in a new partition and added SQL Server 2012 Express.

There is no server name to connect to and looking for a remote server finds nothing

I'm running SQLServer 2008R2 on the main system and have no problem running that in Win 7

Any suggestions?

I have no problem removing the express and reloading SQL 2008R2 or SQLexpress 2008 if that will solve the problem

I checked all the boxes in the install and did a repair

Thanks

Bob

Monday, March 5, 2012 4:47 AM

Answers

• Sorry guys.. found the problem ..I needed to download the advanced version SQLExPRADV_x86_enu.exe.

That install worked dandy.

Thanks

Bob

• Marked as answer by BactBob Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:18 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:18 AM

All replies

• There is no server name to connect to and looking for a remote server finds nothing

What are you using to connect to SQL Server 2012 Express?

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 1:39 AM
  • Just installed Win 8 preview in a new partition and added SQL Server 2012 Express.

There is no server name to connect to and looking for a remote server finds nothing

I'm running SQLServer 2008R2 on the main system and have no problem running that in Win 7

Any suggestions?

Hi Bob,

If I understand correctly, you want to use SQL Server 2012 Express to connect to local DB and remote server but find nothing. Please enable TCP/IP protocol and use IP address to test the connection.
    There are detailed steps listed in the below article for trouble shooting this remote connection issue.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2102.how-to-troubleshoot-connecting-to-the-sql-server-database-engine.aspx

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 3:40 AM
  • Sorry guys.. found the problem ..I needed to download the advanced version SQLExPRADV_x86_enu.exe.

That install worked dandy.

Thanks

Bob

• Marked as answer by BactBob Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:18 AM
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:18 AM