none
Dotnet 3.5 and windows 2000 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I have developed one C# solution in Visual Studio 2008 (Framework 3.5) and created a setup for installing my application in number of clients location

Half of my clients are using Windows 2000 and I am not able to install the framework 3.5 in their PCs.

1. Cant we install the Framework 3.5 in Win2000 machines?
    2. if not, Is there any workaround to over come this problem?
    3. We have VS2005 (Framework 2.0) in our office, can I open VS2008 application in VS2005 and recompile (I am sure, this is a stupid question) it?

Please provide your inputs

Violence never brings Peace. Non-Violence never brings solutions
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:22 PM

Answers

•  Yes there is limited work around if your application does not use new features and platforms like WPF(Windows Presentation Foundation), WCF(Windows Communication Foundation), WWF(Windows WorkFlow Foundation) new ADO.NET features like LINQ to DataSet and LINQ to SQL and new Asp.net features then you can compile your code targeting .NET 2.0 for your Win2000 users.

Actually your last question is not stupid because with VS2005 it is clean .NET 2.0 application.

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCITP BI & MCTS SQL Server 2005
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:44 AM
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:58 PM
  •  
    Rajeeshun said:

3. We have VS2005 (Framework 2.0) in our office, can I open VS2008 application in VS2005 and recompile (I am sure, this is a stupid question) it?

I just like to inform you and emphasize that VS 2008 has multi-targeting feature which facilitates users to target on .NET 2.0/3.0/3.5.
    So if your application don't need new stuff come with 3.0/3.5, you can make a .NET 2.0 application in VS 2008 and make a setup project which also set .NET Framework prerequisite as version 2.0 (in setup project of VS 2008, its default value is 3.5)

Thanks.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 4:43 AM

All replies

•  Yes there is limited work around if your application does not use new features and platforms like WPF(Windows Presentation Foundation), WCF(Windows Communication Foundation), WWF(Windows WorkFlow Foundation) new ADO.NET features like LINQ to DataSet and LINQ to SQL and new Asp.net features then you can compile your code targeting .NET 2.0 for your Win2000 users.

Actually your last question is not stupid because with VS2005 it is clean .NET 2.0 application.

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCITP BI & MCTS SQL Server 2005
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 5:58 PM
  •  
    Rajeeshun said:

I just like to inform you and emphasize that VS 2008 has multi-targeting feature which facilitates users to target on .NET 2.0/3.0/3.5.
    So if your application don't need new stuff come with 3.0/3.5, you can make a .NET 2.0 application in VS 2008 and make a setup project which also set .NET Framework prerequisite as version 2.0 (in setup project of VS 2008, its default value is 3.5)

Thanks.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, July 11, 2008 4:43 AM
  • Thank you very much for the answers. Great help

Hi Moderator,

Nowadays, I cant see my latest posts in when I click and browse  "My threads". I have to do a long search to find my previous posts. Any clue?

Violence never brings Peace. Non-Violence never brings solutions
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 2:55 PM
  • You can refer to this forum: MSDN Site Feedback

By the way, yesterday forum was down because of the maintenance.

Thanks.
    Friday, July 18, 2008 1:31 AM