locked
Dynamic Data SP1 chokes on Northwind and AdventureWorks using ADO.Net Entity Data Model RRS feed

  • Question

  • User-9156515 posted

    Now that SP1 is out, I'm trying out DD with ADO.Net EDM and ScaffoldAllTables=true. I am using Northwind first and AdventureWorks second in two separate websites as my databases.

    Both render the My Tables page correctly. When you drill down 1 or 2 levels deep, it bombs. Example: Using adventureworks db, click on address table, then click on viewEmployeeAddress in the first row. I get this:

    A property with name 'Address.AddressID' does not exist in metadata for entity type 'DDAdventureWx.EmployeeAddress'.

    Is this supposed to work with ADO.Net EDM "right out of the box" or is there tweaking requiered in the generated model for Dynamic Data?


    Thx

    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:16 AM

Answers

  • User1641955678 posted

    There is indeed an issue with the Entity Data Source that is causing this.  Here it is described by someone from the Entities team:

    "Currently for a (1 : 0..1) relationship, we expose references to the “1” end but we don’t expose the references to the “0..1” end. For ex: consider something like “Person”->”PersonDetails” with a (1 : 0..1) relationship between them:

    There will be a property descriptor “Person” on “PersonDetails” entity. However there’ll be no property descriptor called “PersonDetails” on “Person” entity."

    We'll see if there are some possible workarounds.  BTW, you mention that you also see this with Northwind.  Specifically, which Northwind table are you seeing this on?

    thanks,
    David

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:43 PM

All replies

  • User1641955678 posted

    There is indeed an issue with the Entity Data Source that is causing this.  Here it is described by someone from the Entities team:

    "Currently for a (1 : 0..1) relationship, we expose references to the “1” end but we don’t expose the references to the “0..1” end. For ex: consider something like “Person”->”PersonDetails” with a (1 : 0..1) relationship between them:

    There will be a property descriptor “Person” on “PersonDetails” entity. However there’ll be no property descriptor called “PersonDetails” on “Person” entity."

    We'll see if there are some possible workarounds.  BTW, you mention that you also see this with Northwind.  Specifically, which Northwind table are you seeing this on?

    thanks,
    David

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 9:43 PM
  • User-9156515 posted

     Thanks David for responding.

     I was using EDM on Northwind when I got the error. I believe it was affeceted by the issue you describe.

     Best regards

    Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:38 PM
  • User1641955678 posted

    I didn't think that Northwind had this type of 1:0..1 relationship, which is why I'm curious about which specific table on Northwind got you that error.

    thanks,
    David

    Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:49 PM
  • User967637291 posted

    David,

    I'm having the same problem with NorthwindEntities when clicking View Order_Details from the Details list or the Products List; both of these are 1:* multiplicity. This needs a fix ASAP.

    You can download a sample project that demonstrates the problem from http://code.visualstudiomagazine.com/vs0808rj.zip. The project expects the Northwind sample database to be attached to a localhost\SQLEXPRESS instance.

    --rj

     

    Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:50 PM
  • User-797310475 posted

    Thanks all for reporting these problems. We have a solution that is pending testing that we will make available as soon as possible. We should have more details about this on Monday.

    Friday, August 15, 2008 9:01 PM
  • User1641955678 posted

    An intial version of the fix in now available.  Please see the following post for details.

    thanks,
    David

    Saturday, August 16, 2008 7:53 PM