none
.net framework 3.5 installation problems RRS feed

• Question

• I am using windows 7 and want to install .net framework 3.5. I downloaded it and tried to install several times. Every time it shows that ''turn windows features on or off'' I went to that position several times and unchecked it and tried to install it and failed. Sometimes there is an option comes 'install it anyway' .I that cse the installation process goes well but at the end it shows that ''SETUP ERROR''. Please suggest me what should I do now. Thank you

wayesh

Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:22 PM

Answers

• WHY are you trying to install .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 7 when it was installed as an INTEGRAL part of the OS when Win 7 was installed?

The Windows Features dialog that shows "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1" indicates that .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 patched through 3.5 SP1 in installed embedded in Windows, not as an add on program. You cannot uninstall it, and you cannot install the add on version over it.

Please tell us what is going on with your system that makes you think you need to try to install 3.5?

There is a tool available to "fix" embedded frameworks in Vista and Win 7:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Hi wayesh,

Thanks for your post.

Like pvdg42 said, the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is installed as system component in Windows 7, you'll not need to download and install it manually.

To install/repair .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in Windows 7, you can go to Control Panel >> Programs >> Turn Windows features on or off. Unselect the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, click OK. Then reopen the Turn Windows features on or off windows, re-select the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.

If there are any problem occur in the above steps, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 23, 2011 5:57 AM

All replies

• WHY are you trying to install .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 7 when it was installed as an INTEGRAL part of the OS when Win 7 was installed?

The Windows Features dialog that shows "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1" indicates that .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 patched through 3.5 SP1 in installed embedded in Windows, not as an add on program. You cannot uninstall it, and you cannot install the add on version over it.

Please tell us what is going on with your system that makes you think you need to try to install 3.5?

There is a tool available to "fix" embedded frameworks in Vista and Win 7:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2007/03/26/how-to-repair-the-net-framework-2-0-and-3-0-on-windows-vista.aspx

Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:53 PM
  • Hi wayesh,

Thanks for your post.

Like pvdg42 said, the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is installed as system component in Windows 7, you'll not need to download and install it manually.

To install/repair .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 in Windows 7, you can go to Control Panel >> Programs >> Turn Windows features on or off. Unselect the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1, click OK. Then reopen the Turn Windows features on or off windows, re-select the checkbox of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.

If there are any problem occur in the above steps, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 23, 2011 5:57 AM