How to Beta and Heat test a MS Store App

Question

• Newbie Question. I have an App almost ready for to go. I want to test it on a *small* scale before opening it up to the MS Store. Do you have some suggestions to Beta test the App. Also, it seems to work fine but have no idea how to *heat* test it to see if it scales. Any ides would be appreciated. Thanks.

FS

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Frank,

As I mentioned, the way to beta test a Windows Store app is to provide your beta testers with a test package that they can install on their own systems. This does not require the app be published in production. This is currently the only option provided as there is no store-hosted beta option as there is for Windows Phone apps.

As far as testing the server infrastructure goes you can target it via test packages; however, you probably want to do a more general server-oriented test plan rather than just accessing the server via the app.

--Rob

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:12 AM
    Owner

All replies

• I'm can't quite understand what you are asking.  Are you asking how to test your app in different screen resolutions? 
    Tuesday, February 03, 2015 3:54 PM
  • Randy, thank you for the quick response. No actually I was talking about how do you test an App that hundreds (or thousands) of people are using simultaneously? This really takes on two considerations:

1) Heat Test. If a thousand people are using an App how do you test for that? For example: Let's say we have a back-end server that stores all the images for the App. How do you test 1,000 users at the same time downloading images? Will this crash the server? Will it slow down? How to test for when the App may fail due to number of users.

2) Beta Test. If there any way to Beta release the App so only 50 (arbitrary #) people can use it in case there are bugs? My concern (on the first App anyway) is debugging the App with (hopefully) a lot of people using it.

Thanks in advance. 

Frank

FS

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 8:53 PM
  • Hi Frank,

You can submit your app to windows store beta, there will be many people to test your app. you can receive feedback later. See how to submit your app from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/jj215598(v=vs.105).aspx. Refer to Submitting your app for beta distribution section.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, February 09, 2015 9:47 AM
  • Great! Thank you.

FS

Monday, February 09, 2015 3:38 PM
  • Beta installs from the store are available only for Windows Phone apps, not for Windows Store apps.

For Windows Store apps you will need to distribute a development package for testing to your beta users. See Installing developer packages on Windows RT for instructions (while that document targets Windows RT, the same steps and concepts apply to deploying a test package on any system without Visual Studio. The only difference will be building either AnyCPU or x86 rather than AnyCPU or ARM).

Heat testing your server would be done the same way you'd heat test any other server. This is not specific to Windows Store apps. If you have specific questions on this you'll be better off asking in forums dedicated to the technology used to develop and host the server.

Monday, February 09, 2015 8:37 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob, Thank you for the clarification on the iPhone beta. I was hoping that would be available for a Windows 8.1 App. My concern, of course, is there does not seem to be and effective way to beta test an App - except in Production!!? That seems to break EVERY rule of SDLC I have ever learned! I can have a dozen developers test the App but that does not get me any comfort that is 1000 or even 100 users buy the App that is would not melt down in a live environment. As you can probably tell this is my first App and I am scared to death of building a great App and then not have infrastructure in place to scale it. Any more ideas would be appreciated!! 

FS

Monday, February 09, 2015 8:47 PM
  • Hi Frank,

As I mentioned, the way to beta test a Windows Store app is to provide your beta testers with a test package that they can install on their own systems. This does not require the app be published in production. This is currently the only option provided as there is no store-hosted beta option as there is for Windows Phone apps.

As far as testing the server infrastructure goes you can target it via test packages; however, you probably want to do a more general server-oriented test plan rather than just accessing the server via the app.

--Rob

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 1:12 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob!!

FS

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 2:13 AM