My Project has disappeared from Visual Studio online but Team Explorer does not offer Clone RRS feed

• Question

• I set up my project on Visual Studio online and cloned it from Visual Studio. All was going well until I got an error 500. Visual Studio Online would not respond for a couple of hours but then it came back but there was no code there - just a page saying the repository is ready and showing instructions on how to clone from Visual Studio. 

The problem is that my desktop Visual Studio seems to think it has cloned because on the Team Explorer Home page for the project there is no invitation to clone the repository. If I switch to Team Viewer: Changes there are none.

Clearly some kind of crash on VS Online has messed up the relationship with my local repo. How can I get them talking again?

Thanks

Mike VE

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 6:21 AM

Answers

• Hello Mike,
    It looks like you do not have the upstream remote / branch configured for that branch. Visual Studio operates as if the "push.default" configuration is set to "upstream".

To do that Please follow the below steps and try:

1. Go to the branches page
    2. Right click on "Unpublished" branches section
    3. select publish in the resulting context menu

This will push the branch to the origin remote (with a branch of the same name as your local branch) and set the upstream tracking information for this branch.
    From then, you can push and fetch from the Unsynced Commits page.

Thanks,
    Sunil.HP

• Proposed as answer by Sunil Hurkadli Monday, June 15, 2015 10:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike VE Monday, June 15, 2015 1:54 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2015 10:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

If the cloned local git repository which matches remote git repository is in team explorer, then you can connect it with your credential which you used before. Then the connection will be established.

Just make sure that the Team Projects and repositories are connected to once from Team Explorer. They'll automatically link back up with the local repositories if their configuration matches.

Thanks,
    Sunil.HP

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:09 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Sunil. I have tried to follow your advice.

I found the place in Team Explorer > Settings > Portal Settings to enable my Team Project Portal and put the URL I got from the Visual Studio Online page that said "Your Repository is ready". I clicked the Check URL button and another window opened in my browser with the same Visual Studio Online page. So far so good.

Back in Team Explorer I can click the Connect button and my project is there in the list of remote repositories (it's the only one). Hovering over it brings up a pop-up which shows Name, Collection and Repository Path. All these look correct.

However, if I go to Unsynced Commits the Sync button is greyed out. So are the Pull and Push buttons. There is nothing in the Incoming Commits list and the Outgoing Commits list 17 changes that have all been committed to the local repo. I want to send them up to Visual Studio Online.

Clearly my Team Explorer and VS Online are not properly connected but I do not know what else to try.

Mike VE

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Hello Mike,
    It looks like you do not have the upstream remote / branch configured for that branch. Visual Studio operates as if the "push.default" configuration is set to "upstream".

To do that Please follow the below steps and try:

1. Go to the branches page
    2. Right click on "Unpublished" branches section
    3. select publish in the resulting context menu

This will push the branch to the origin remote (with a branch of the same name as your local branch) and set the upstream tracking information for this branch.
    From then, you can push and fetch from the Unsynced Commits page.

Thanks,
    Sunil.HP

• Proposed as answer by Sunil Hurkadli Monday, June 15, 2015 10:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mike VE Monday, June 15, 2015 1:54 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2015 10:42 AM
  • How do I change to Unsynced Commit page? Mine says sync and i am unable to push to GitHub
    Wednesday, July 27, 2016 8:36 PM