none
Windows service pack 1 caused Outlook Addin to fail. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got the Windows 7 Service pack 1 and Outlook Addin developed using VSTO 3.0 would not work. I am using settings file and  after the installation I'm getting:

Customization could not be loaded because the application domain could not be created.

************** Exception Text **************
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Runtime.CannotCreateCustomizationDomainException: Customization could not be loaded because the application domain could not be created. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configuration system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unrecognized configuration section userSettings.

I deleted the user.config file thinking it was corrupted. I then compared the newly generated user.config with the old one that caused the problem, I noticed that it added the ollowing node:

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="userSettings" type="System.Configuration.UserSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >
                <section name="MyPreferences" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" allowExeDefinition="MachineToLocalUser" requirePermission="false" />
                <section name="MySettings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" allowExeDefinition="MachineToLocalUser" requirePermission="false" />
            </sectionGroup>

</configSections>

I then got the old user.config and added the above XMLs and it worked. So, my question is how do I convert my old code so that it works with the window 7 Sp1 updates. Is there a way to control how the user.config is created and also how to update the existing user.config to add the above lines?

Thank you,

Rajat

Thursday, July 14, 2011 6:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Rajat,

Would you please clarify some qustions:

1. Is your window7 64-bit system?
    2. Do you use Visual Studio 2010 or Visual Studio 2008?
    3. Which kind of deployment you used to distribute your add-in. Click Once or MSI installer?

Have a good day,

Tom

Monday, July 18, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Hi Tom,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. I am using 64-bit Windows 7.

2. Visual Studio 2008

3. MSI installer

Thank you,

Rajat

Monday, July 18, 2011 1:56 PM
  • Hi Rajat,

Please show me the <userSettsings>'s content for further research.

Have a good day,

Tom

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 3:27 AM