none
How do I install a Windows Service? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been given a task by a school because they know I'm the only one that can program C#, I'm creating a program to monitor what the students are doing on their computers on the teachers computer and remotely execute actions. However, I've created a Windows Service for an extra layer of protection so that the students can't close the application, however, I'm testing out the application and it says that the Windows Service isn't installed.
    Sunday, June 18, 2017 11:40 PM

All replies

• For VS2015 application which has a link on the page for VS2017.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioProductTeam.MicrosoftVisualStudio2015InstallerProjects

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Monday, June 19, 2017 12:32 AM
  • Hi VBProgrammer456,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your question is more related to WCF, I will move it to Windows Communication Foundation, Serialization, and Networking forum for suitable support.

The Visual C# discuss and ask the C# programming language, IDE, libraries, samples and tools.

If you have some grammar or code errors, please feel free to contact us. We will try our best to give you a solution.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 19, 2017 3:02 AM
  • Hi VBProgrammer,

How did you develop Windows Service?

I suggest you refer below link for detailed steps to create and install the Windows Service.

# Walkthrough: Creating a Windows Service Application in the Component Designer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/windows-services/walkthrough-creating-a-windows-service-application-in-the-component-designer#installing-the-service

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:01 AM
  • In regards to Edward's reply, lots of good information in the link yet when it comes to installation on computers without Visual Studio installed installutil.exe most likely will not be present on the client computers. The link Edward provided, under Next Steps suggest using InstallShield Limited Edition or Windows Installer XML Toolset. You would think that Visual Studio would have a method to install a windows service, it did back in VS2010 then was dropped but brought back starting with VS2015 which I've used. Here is the link to the VS2015 installer which also includes a link for VS2017.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 9:59 AM
  • @Wendy, how does a question for Window Services relate to WPF? I've never relied on WPF to create/install a Windows  Service, everything needed can be done with a Windows service project template.

VB Forums - moderator

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 10:06 AM
  • Hi Kareninstructor,

For windows service, WCF forum is more suitable. Hence I move it to WCF forum not WPF.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 3:00 AM
  • Thanks everyone for the replies, I haven't checked in a while :) 
    Sunday, July 9, 2017 6:07 AM
  • Hi VBProgrammer,

If you have any issue about this, please feel free to let us know.

If you have known how to install windows service, I would suggest you mark the helpful reply as answer to close this thread.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support

Monday, July 10, 2017 3:01 AM