Installing a Windows Forms Application with ClickOnce like Stub RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently working on a no-touch deployment and auto-update mechanism for a Windows application. I've tried Microsoft ClickOnce strategy but it did not work for me as I need to install the program in the Program Files directory, perform database configuration tasks, register assemblies to the COM, and also setup and configure the web client of the application on the IIS.

I'm interested in how the stub based installation and update strategies work for Microsoft's packages including its .NET framework and VS installers. I'd like to setup an auto-update service which will check for updates on the Internet and download and install them. Also, the user can configure whether the updating should be done automatically, semi-automatically (downloads are done automatically, but the installation is done with the user overseeing it), or manually.

I'm confused between whether the updating service will be installed via the stub that the user activates by clicking on a link in the web browser, or the stub only downloads the main installer which then installs the updating service. I've gone through the Microsoft's Patterns and Practices topic (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff650164.aspx#scag-ch07_topic2) that discusses this scenario, but it added more to the confusion rather than helping me out.

Can anybody please help me out how the stub-based deployment design works?

Saturday, February 15, 2014 6:55 AM