Need a real answer as to when .Net 4 will be supported on 2008 Core RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have been developing an application for months which we were depending on the use of 2008 Core and .Net 4. for workflow processing.  We do not have an option to go back to 3.5 since we have developed using the new 4.0 workflow components.  We are now having to go back and rebuild our servers because we cannot install the framework on the core server.

As indicated in this post, there is no support for .net 4 on core 2008 but there it has also been out therre for 6+ months and not real answers as to when the support will be there.  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/0cb922d1-b85e-43ba-b8ac-26400491480f

I think its time we get a straight answer on this from Microsoft.  What the point of using core when we can't take advantage of it?  We were planning to use core servers for many different applications including our .net 4 web applications too.

Please, someone provide an answer so we will know how long it will be before we can use the core OS.

So far the 2008 core is a great Tomcat server.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:52 PM

Answers

• .NET 4 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Server Core will be made available in Q1 of this year. For more information see Andrew Mason's announcement.
    • Proposed as answer by Rabi Satter Friday, January 21, 2011 5:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bumpdaddy Monday, January 24, 2011 3:35 PM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Bumpdaddy,

Thank you for posting.

From your description, I’ll try to find out more information for your question. I’ll let you know as soon as we get any update.

Furthermore, I found a feedback on Connect Site. You can vote on it. Please check: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/559665/net-4-0-on-server-core?wa=wsignin1.0

Thank you for your patient.

Best Regards,

Larcolais

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:32 AM
  • Larcolaris,

Thanks for the link.  However, the link shows the issue is resolved as designed, and has been since May of last year.   Do you know if there have been any updates on the long term plan for .NET 4.0 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Core?

Also, from my interpertation of the link above, "As Designed" means Microsoft is now going to release server products that do not support thier own frameworks? 

I guess that leaves 3 options:

1. After almost 10 years development with .NET, it may be time to move back to Java. (Starting to think this may not be a bad option.)
    2. Don't upgrade to .NET 4.0 if application will be deployed to Server Core.
    3. Don't use Windows Server 2008 R2 Core if you want to use .NET 4.0.

Smooth move Microsoft.  Way to think ahead. 

I guess Microsoft doesn't want thier customers to upgrade to both VS 2010 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Core at the same time.  As an owner of Microsoft stock, that ticks me off.

Sorry about the rant, but I am still dumb founded that MS released a server product that will not support updates and upgrades of thier own development platform.

Thanks,

Bert

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Hi Larcolais,

Have you been able to find out anything?

Thanks,

Chris

Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:47 PM
  • Hi Bumpdaddy,

Sorry for the late reply.

I understand your feeling and have already raised this issue to the product team. It might take a few more days. I’ll feel free to let me know if any update.

Thank you for your patient.

Best Regards,

Larcolais

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, January 21, 2011 7:15 AM
  • .NET 4 on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Server Core will be made available in Q1 of this year. For more information see Andrew Mason's announcement.
    • Proposed as answer by Rabi Satter Friday, January 21, 2011 5:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bumpdaddy Monday, January 24, 2011 3:35 PM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 5:49 PM
  • @Rabi,

Thank you for your helpful information.

@Bumpdaddy,

If you have any question, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Larcolais

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Monday, January 24, 2011 2:18 AM
  • Thank you Larcolais for looking into this and thank you Rabi for responding with the link to Andrew's blog.  I will keep an eye on the SP1 release mentioned in Andrew's blog post.  If you know how to go about getting a release candidate for this update, we would be interested in testing it.
    Monday, January 24, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Just a quick update: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) for Server Core is now available on Microsoft Download Center!
    Jie Wang [MSFT]

Thursday, March 3, 2011 3:57 AM